Chicken with broken leg spazzes out - HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StanimalHD, Jan 9, 2013.

1. StanimalHD

StanimalHD New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi, the Silkie i have has a broken (squashed) leg like the other chickens have sat on her, so she now struggles to walk and now cant keep balance, i went in to the coop this morning to find her lay on her side still breathing but not moving as a went to see if she would respond she gave me the 'im dying' look, so i tried to pick her up and put here in a big plastic box i have filled with straw put some food and water in there too, so as i pick her up all these strange moans came from her? so i placed her gently in the plastic box and then she flipped of out, twitching and clucking and flaping her wings she started spinning and fliping over her neck went all twisted so after about 20 - 30 seconds she stopped and just crashed out with her neck twisted no moving but looking round with her eyes and breathing still, i ten brought her inside where she is calmer?

Any ideas?
    ( Im traumatised!)

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    It sounds like she may have more problems than just a broken leg. How do you know her leg is broken? She needs to be in a small enclosure like a small dog/cat crate, cover it with a towel or blanket to keep it dark and provide her a warm, quiet place to rest. The less space they have to flap around in will minimize further damage. You may need to give her some vitamins/electrolytes in her water and offer her high protein food along with her kibble. My birds love tuna and boiled eggs.

3. StanimalHD

StanimalHD New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi thanks for the reply and I dont know if its broke I shall put a picture up of her leg now, thanks for your help!

4. StanimalHD

StanimalHD New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    [​IMG]
    (Above) - Her leg is flat and she can open close it or stand on it

(Below) - That's how she is not moving but occasionaly moving had slightly
    [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If she was squished by larger birds, she may have internal injuries. You may need to give her drops of vitamin enhanced water by dropper until she feels better. Be sure and cover her box to make it dark and she may like a warm light over her.

If you pinch the toes on that foot, does she seem to feel it at all. She may have a spinal injury.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. StanimalHD

StanimalHD New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    Ok i will try that for her, thanks for your help,much appericiated!

7. StanimalHD

StanimalHD New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    She has died now :(

8. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Yes, I was afraid of that. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad she didn't suffer long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by