Chicken with broken legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KrisS., Jul 29, 2011.

1. KrisS.

KrisS. New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi we have a total of 14 chickens that are about 4 months old they free range during the day. We hatched these chickens as eggs and they are our pets as much as anything. We do not intend on eating any of the chickens just getting fresh eggs. We have 3 roosters and one of the roosters has both legs broken and twisted. It started as one broken leg (not sure how it broke we just noticed it one day about 2 months ago) he did fine with one leg but now the other leg is twisted and turned and he can't move very well at all. The other roosters peck on him and walk over him- not very nice at all! We are afraid that we need to end his suffering but not sure how to do that. We can't cut his neck!!

Does anyone have any advice? This is our first attempt at raising chickens and I appreciate any advice any of you have.

Thank you,
    Kris

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    KrisS. :

Hi we have a total of 14 chickens that are about 4 months old they free range during the day. We hatched these chickens as eggs and they are our pets as much as anything. We do not intend on eating any of the chickens just getting fresh eggs. We have 3 roosters and one of the roosters has both legs broken and twisted. It started as one broken leg (not sure how it broke we just noticed it one day about 2 months ago) he did fine with one leg but now the other leg is twisted and turned and he can't move very well at all. The other roosters peck on him and walk over him- not very nice at all! We are afraid that we need to end his suffering but not sure how to do that. We can't cut his neck!!

Does anyone have any advice? This is our first attempt at raising chickens and I appreciate any advice any of you have.

Thank you,
    Kris

I am so sorry this has happened, as you probably know he is in pain. The best way i know is to use an ax or hatchet. it's quick less painful than what he's enduring now, if you can't do it because of seeing his face then cover his head with a towel and just leave the neck exposed. You need to do this as quick as possible to end his suffering. again so sorry your having to go through this. [​IMG]

3. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    I agree. So sorry. Its the best way tho.....

[​IMG]

4. KrisS.

KrisS. New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Could we take him to the vet and have him 'put to sleep' like you would a dog or a cat?

5. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure you can. Although, I put my dying dog to sleep last year and it cost me $45 for the shot!! I was shocked! I've had to do it, and it's not fun, but the ax is the best way. Oh- but get out a nice big wide block of wood to lay his neck on. You do NOT want to do that on the ground- that would be awful, and make sure your tool is sharp.

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You could probably find a vet to gas him. There is a lot of controversy on the subject of culling using any method other than wringing the neck or removing the head. I personally could not do either of those things but am prepared to have to put down any of my birds should the need arise. I would/will use ether based starter fluid sprayed on a rag. The rag gets placed inside a container/box with the bird. They pass out and don't wake up. I have used this method on a wild rabbit that was maimed by my dog and suffering greatly at 3am. It was very peaceful. I do recommend doing it outside where it is well-ventilated. So sorry about your rooster but it does sound like culling is the right thing to do. [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    KrisS. :

Could we take him to the vet and have him 'put to sleep' like you would a dog or a cat?

I think a vet would do it for you, if you want to go that route.​

8. KrisS.

KrisS. New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Thank you so much for all of your replys. I called me vet and he told me he would do the deed for $25.00. Well worth it to me. The kids and I took him this afternoon. I just couldn't do it myself!!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry you all had to go through this. It's a very big part of keeping chickens or any animal for that matter. We all have to do whats best for us and it's our decision. You chose what was best for your roo and your family, you did good. Now you concentrate on the flock thats left and enjoying them. You gave him a great life thats what matters most. Bless you all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by