1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

**Chicken with Broken Neck**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lucky10, Jun 15, 2011.

1. lucky10

lucky10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I walked into my chicken coop and one of my pullets, was on the ground. I thought that it was dead but it is alive! So I checked it out and it has a broken neck!!!!!!! What should I do? Can I even do anything? I don't want it to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please respond asap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Nothing you really can do, just put it out of it's misery.

3. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Are you sure it's broken? Do a search here for a condition called "wry neck" - there is lots of information and I think it could be confused with a broken neck.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If her neck is broken then put her down. She cannot be saved. If she has wry neck then she can possibly be saved. Are you sure her neck is broken?

5. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    is it a Silkie?

6. SunValleySeramas

SunValleySeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    ramona, california
    if we cant help a human with a broken neck and make them walk again i dont thing there is a thing we can do for a chicken, sorry to say it, make it quick and painless!!

7. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    WAIT>>>
    how would a chicken get a broken neck, did a dog grab it???
    it is likely something else

8. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    i'd do some reading before you make a decision. My Silkie with Wry neck had it so bad he could not move his neck from between his feet. He had to drag his head around. A week and a half later, with treatment, he is 100% normal.

9. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i don't know if it is a Silkie yet

10. lucky10

lucky10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I think that she didn't break it just hurt it. I would never kill a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not physical possible for me to kill a chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by