Chicken with bruise and scab on vent...Don't know how she got it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DianeB, Aug 5, 2009.

1. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    My chicken that had a difficult time laying eggs one morning. So, I rushed her to the vet. It turned out that she had a bruised vent that caused her to lay eggs prematurely. I gave her antibotics and extra calcium and she seems to have fully recovered.

However, yesterday, when I gave her a bath to remove some poop from ther rear, I saw a thick crescent shaped scab running right underneath her bruise. How did she get this? I assumed that she must have fallen of her roost at night and bruised herself. Now, I think something may have biten her. Do chickens sometimes scab when they clot internally? Is this a sign of a problem? Does anyone have experience with this? I would like to know what happened to prevent it from happening again.

Thank You
    DB

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    What was the treatment provided by the vet?

Keep the area cleaned (betadine and water - should look like weak tea) and apply some plain neosporin to the scabbed area. Keep her separated from other chooks.

Check your coop/run security to make sure something with a taste for your girls doesn't have access. If you could post a picture that would be helpful.

Good luck!

3. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    She is alright, now. They put her on Baytrill for 10 days. She bounced right back. I just wanted to know if anyone else had something like this happen to their hen. I don't want to risk it happening again.

4. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    I've never heard of that - very odd. Is it possible that the others pecked her seeing the bruise was different? (You know how birds are - they'll peck at anything of interest).

Also, you're certain it's a scab? Very odd!

I wonder if the bruise or vent didn't seep maybe? The bruise is gone yes?

5. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    My vet says that with large, deep bruises scabs can form. It was a pretty bad bruise. I am surprised she healed so fast.

I doubt any other chicken pecked at her. She is the top hen.

No one has ever had a hen that bruised her vent? I took out their roosts and it hasn't happened again. Could she have fallen off her roost or did she get attached?

6. threehorses

threehorses Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Then I'd say it's what your vet said, which I suppose makes sense as a bruise is really a hematoma, blood under the skin. It could technically seep out.

I tend towards thinking that she hurt her self on the roost rather than an attach, which usually involves broken skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: