Chicken with bubbles on eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laurengeeves, Jan 16, 2014.

1. laurengeeves

laurengeeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chicken may be suffering from a respiratory infection such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma. Many of these diseases will make carriers of the flock. Watch for additional symptoms such as nasal drainage, sneeze or cough, foul odor, bloody mucus,and swelling of the eyes or face . Here is a list of common diseases with symptoms and treatments: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Eggcessive, your bird could have a respiratory disease. Watch and see if any other of your birds begin to show symptoms. For now, isolate her if you haven't already, for observation, and to help prevent any transmission of the disease. Give electrolytes and probiotics, and make sure that she is out of drafts and warm. If the symptoms persist, antibiotics may be needed.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It does look like some sort of respiratory infection, though I suppose it could be a reaction to some sort of irritant. Does your coop seem dusty, or is there a strong smell of ammonia? Have any chemicals been used near the coop? I would isolate this hen in a warm, clean place. Give supportive care (warmth, stress-free, good feed, vitamins, etc.) and see what happens. If the symptoms persist or get worse, I would begin antibiotic treatment, if you want to save the hen. A good antibiotic to use would be Tylan50 injectable, but there are many to try.

5. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    She sneezes a bit and her breathing sounds raspy.. I went out there today to treat for scaly leg so she is icolated in the big shed on top of the nest boxes, we planned to do this untill it all clears up as we are using cream and the floor of their pen is drowned with sopping wet mud, she is old and has had it but I'm not giving up! All the chicks a were my fiancées dads, but after a break up with his mum he's just up and left them and didn't come back to care for them, so now we are caring for them, to find they had so many problems, it's not me that's let them get like this x

6. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    Can you order the tylan50 online?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    The coop is a shed, and when I first started to look after them fully, I saw a rat and freemen out as anyone would, also their very tall and long run flooring was basically chicken poo, I was told that it was never cleaned out, it looked just just mud tho, I had to buy a broom And I sweeper the whole if the shed as it was dry in there and It was all dry poo and old mud, it was discussing but I'm trying to sort it all out, the old poo mud from outside has been removed and was about 10cm thick, so it could be from the dry poo dust?

9. laurengeeves

Jun 28, 2013
    England , Kent
    [​IMG]

At the time the photo was taken we had to separate a bit for a sick chicken, you can't see the shed but it's red and on the right had side attached to the run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by