Chicken with bum leg (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chucknbob, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Chucknbob

Chucknbob Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    My hen has been walking with a limp for a couple of days. When she stands she puts all of her weight on one leg. I expected bumble foot, but I caught her and her feet look like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It doesn't feel warm like its infected, and doesn't look like bumble foot to me, but I'm not 100% on what I'm looking at. I snapped pics of both feet for comparison. Can someone with a trained eye tell me if they look ok?

I felt her legs, toes, etc and nothing appears to be broken, so I'm at a loss as to what her problem is or what to do for her.

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I am not seeing any signs of bumblefoot there. Perhaps she just landed too hard as she came down off the roost?

Keep an eye on her and if she's still limping in a couple of days, post here again and let us know.

Good luck!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sprains are very common. I have one that held her leg up for over a month, but could roost, get to food and water, and forage for bugs. If yours can't get around well or is limping badly, I would put her in a crate in the coop with the others for a week on vitamins, and then check her walking weekly to see if she has improved. As pathfinders said, post back here in a few days if she is worse or has more symptoms.

4. Chucknbob

Chucknbob Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2012
    Thanks. I put her in a very deeply bedded brooder in my garage. It's 2'x4' so she can't fly around everywhere.

I hate pulling her from the group, but I have a chicken tractor, so not enough space to put her in a crate with them, and I saw a chicken hawk circling her while they all were in the yard. With the bum leg she was easy prey.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to keep her in the box for a few days to force her to stay off of it. I'll report back on how she's doing after that.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe put the crate beside the tractor or grab a friend to come inside with? Sounds like you are taking good care of her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by