Chicken with bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mattsiewrt94, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    I seen something under her foot and it's real minor when I get home I'll take pictures but it looks like it's gonna be that. She's not limping but I looked at her feet and seen alittle hole just want to know what I should do before it gets worse

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It may not be necessary to do anything. Bumblefoot is hard to eradicate in my experience and while I have done surgeries, I use that as a last resort. As long as the bird is not limping and otherwise healthy (laying eggs is an indication of health), I leave them be. Here is a link to details and photos of a severe case of bumble foot and how to do the surgery if it should become necessary:

http://selfsufficiencyandotherassortedhijinks.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/bumble-foot/

3. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Oh okay thank you so much and what do they act like when they get bumble foot do they stop eating or any signs like that?

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It is a staph infection but the symptoms will depend on the severity and whether infection is localized to the foot or systemic. Limping is the first symptom most people notice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by