chicken with bump in the rear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waya56, May 9, 2011.

1. waya56

waya56 New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    My mother in law told me she has a chicken that has a bump in the rear area and is growing. The chicken is eating and drinking and seems just fine. We are wondering if she might have eggs in that area that she did not lay. Any suggestions would help.

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    if tissue is pooping out of her vent(the spot were the eggs come from) then she has a prolaspe, not good, she needs to be separated from the other hens asap, they will peck at the tissue and kill her. Wash the tissue with warm water and then apply either sugar, honey or prep H to the tissue, give it a few minutes this helps to reduce the swelling, then with a gloved finger(at least a claen finger with some lub on it) gently push the tissue back in, you may have to do this several times. keep her from laying for a while by keeping her in a darken area to stop egg production. you can look up prolaspe vent here in the search engine for more info. act soon and good luck

3. waya56

waya56 New Egg

Mar 25, 2011
    Thank you for your suggestion. I'm sending this forward to my mother in-law now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by