chicken with cloudy eyes, pale comb lethargic Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Swissmiss989, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    i have been searching and i cant find any answers. I have a chicken with cloudy eyes, pale comb, lethargic, she rubs her eyes all the time but i dont see any oozing or tearing but she keeps them wiped on her back. She does not have bad breath nor does she have discharge from her nose. So totally clueless anyone have any suggestions?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have no idea about the cloudy eyes, but the paleness sounds like anemia or lack of oxygen flow. When was she last wormed? With what? I know some worms can break out of the body and attach in the eyes, although rare. A heavy worm load will cause anemia, pale comb and face, unthrifty ness.....
    could an infection of some sorts as well.... But I'm not sure what. Normally they wipe their nose on their back. Humm.. Take a listen to her lungs under one wing... Any wheezing or noise?

3. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    I haven't wormed my chickens before. They are about a year old and I and still fairly new at this. What do you use, how do you use it, and do I have to throw eggs away while treating my flock?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You might be dealing with eyeworm. Look very closely into the corners of her eyes/tear duct area and see if you can see a very thin whitish in color worm, about 1/4 inch long or abit longer. If she has been scratching her eyes, that's a good indicator of eyeworm also.
    If in fact it's eyeworm, treatment is valbazen. Mix equal parts of valbazen and water and flush the eyes with it. It wont hurt her. Then orally dose your hen with 1/2cc valbazen undiluted. Repeat again in 10 days. Acting lethargic is usually a sign of worms as well. The valbazen will take care of all of them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Where do you get valbazen?

6. Swissmiss989

Jun 5, 2011
    Where do you get valbazen?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008