Chicken with cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mystang89, Sep 10, 2011.

1. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Does my chicken have cocci?
    She is a white leghorn bantam appx 10 months old. I noticed today that there was blood in her stool. That appears to be one of the symptoms of cocci. She has always had access to dirt. The only thing that is different right now is that I have 7 new chicks in the same run as her, though they are isolated in their own dog cage. I wasn't sure if she caught a different strain from one of the chicks or not or if this sounds like something else or if its normal. I looked at her butt, (I know there's a professional word for it but can't think of it,) and its all nasty with poop on it, not like it normally looks. I plan on cleaning it, though I don't look forward to trying to catch her. I'll probably wait till tonight to catch her. I read somewhere that sometimes the chickens "shed intestine liners"? I don't know anything about this, don't know if this is normal, and don't even know if this is something that she is doing? Anyone have any clue? Thanks.

2. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

If she has cocci get her Sulmet... and even if she doesn't Sulmet is good for many different diseases in birds.

3. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I called my local supply store (Tractor Supply) to see if they carried Sulmet and they said they had some but that it came in pellets or oblets or something like that and that it was for cows or animals that you could "shove down their throats". He did say that carried "Duramycin" which is the first I've heard it. Anyone know if this works or what its for?
    EDIT: Been doing a bit more reading and was wandering if I should use Corid? I read that with Duramycin there is a withdraw time of 21 days that you can't eat eggs but with Corid there isn't any. Will this work....even though I don't think my tractor supply has any.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:duramycin is tetracycline and doesn't work for cocci. corid is better. 1 tsp in 1 gal of water. mix fresh once daily and not other water but that during treatment.
    the sulmet caplets are huge- 5 grams, way too large for a chicken but it might be ablet o be mixed with water, not sure how to dose that.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  6. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Thanks, I've looked at that poop chart before but neglected to this time. It kinda looks more along the lines of intestine linings because the blood was pooled like the picture of the cocci. I noticed her poop today, fortunetly right after she got off my lap, and it almost looked like her......poop hole, was coming out. Once she was done it all went back in. I cleaned her vent, (THERES THE WORD I'M LOOKING FOR) to get all the matted poop off it and I hope that after she takes a dust bath tomorrow that everything will be fine. I will keep an eye on her though and try to find some Corid in the meantime.

7. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Sorry to bring this up again but I have more questions/concerns. The same chicken in question has normal looking poop. It isn't runny, its just chicken poop, however she still looks like her entire vent is coming out and almost like she is straining very hard. She keeps looking like she's tring to poop but nothing is coming out. She laid an egg earlier today and the egg had spots of blood on it. Could she still have an egg in there? She is standing up and closing her eyes alot. Last I saw this I lost my chick very soon afterwards so I don't think she has much longer left. She almost looks bigger than she used to but I hope I'm just being overly worried. I am still trying to find corid around the kentucky area but I'm not having any luck + with it being Sunday most places are understandably closed. From looking at the poop chart the cocci poop there was runny whereas the intestine poop was normal looking with strains of poop. Her vent is very dirty and I can't seem to keep it clean enough since every time she poops it gets dirty again + trying to clean that is a pain. Trying to catch the darn leghorn is a pain. I'm up for anything. Do the most of you think its cocci or does it sound like normal chicken thing to you. Also what do you think about her vent coming out and then going back in. Really far out.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use scissors to trim back the fluff and feathers around her vent, she'll have a clear "shot" to the ground. "Vent coming out and then going back in." Do you mean pulsating? If it's pulsating, that's normal. Otherwise if it's actually coming out it could be prolapse. You can type "prolapse" in the BYC search box and read up on it and how to treat it. I've never dealt with it. It sounds like she could be eggbound as well. Try soaking her in warm water up to her sides and massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes, hopefully it's help her to lay.

9. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    After looking up prolapse on the board I don't think that's what it is. The vent does go back in, in a pulsating manner, I suppose I just never noticed that with the other chickens. However, after reading the prolapse article I was thinking it might be a deficiency in calcium.[​IMG] Either way, I'm trying to find Corid online now and see how fast I can get it here just in case. We soaked her in warm water and messaged her tummy for about 30 or so minutes, then blew her off and put her back outside, to which she said she didn't like the new hair style that we had given her. We also had her drink some sugar water which seems to have given her a bit more energy, but for how long I'm not sure.
    EDIT: Also I went to Tractor supply today to pick up some Duramycin 10 and this may sound dumb but all I saw there was Duramycin 100 and Duramycin 27-200 all of which said it was for use in cattle/swine and that it was an injection. I tried to ere on the side of caution. I tried looking it up online and I didn't find anything at all for either one + chicken.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  10. mystang89

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    As of right now she looks like she is doing alittle better. She had the 30 min or so hot bath + sugar water which gave her a bit more energy. I saw her pecking around on the ground, though now nearly as vigorously as normal; same with scratching. I'll have a look tomorrow and hope she's still alive when I go to let them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by