chicken with cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by molly, Oct 29, 2008.

1. molly

molly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    one of my golden comets is sneezing is there something I can give her?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First, let me remind everyone that chickens do not get colds. They get terrible respiratory illnesses, many of which make them carriers for life. Do not medicate a chicken just for sneezing or when you really need an antibiotic to work, it won't. Sneezing alone may mean there is a dust or ammonia build up in the coop. Maybe the bedding is too dusty. Or there's new plywood in the coop and the chemicals/glue that hold it together is making them sneeze. So many things can cause that.
    What I'd do is add a poultry vitamin like AviaCharge2000 OR just add a tablespoon or so of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a gallon waterer to boost her immune system.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she have any other symptoms....like runny or bubbly eyes?

4. speckledhen

Are there more symptoms? Have you recently added new birds to your flock? If so, did you quarantine them for a month first? Are any other birds showing symptoms?

5. molly

molly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    no there are no other symptoms will the vinegar bother the eggs?I see no other problems with my other chickens

6. speckledhen

No, I regularly put ACV in their water, not every time, but often. I buy an organic brand with mother of vinegar (sediment) at the regular grocery story. It wont affect the eggs at all.

7. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Awesome. I like to use natural remedies whenever possible.

8. speckledhen

Some also float a peeled garlic clove in the water. I used to do that and it didn't affect the eggs, either, but there are health benefits to garlic, as you probably know. I've been known to chop a clove or two of it in warm oatmeal for them, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by