Chicken with constant diarrhea! Please HELP!!

Hanathehappyhen

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2018
Nicasio CA
My chicken has been having constant diarrhea for the past 2-3 weeks. She is seven years old and molting right now. She's been eating and drinking like normal, and has mostly been acting normal. By mostly I mean that she's been having a bit of a hard time jumping up and off high places, but I'm not too worried about that since she is molting, and is getting older. The only changes that have happened are we started a new feed for my egg laying hen and Hana might have been eating too much of that and gotten sick. To fix that we've made sure that she's not eating the new feed anymore. The weathers been pretty chilly so its not heat sickness. The only other thing I can think of is we live by Point Reyes, so we were getting the full smoke from the fires around there as well as other smoke from all over California. Could the smoke be making her sick? There have been warnings in my area not to go outside since even a healthy person could get hurt from the smoke and air particles. Do you think being outside sometimes during the smoke has made her sick? Right now we are keeping her in the house with us, and she's having a pretty good time. (sitting on chairs) Also, our vet won't be back until late October, so we won't be able to get any professional advice. Any help is appreciated Thank you! 1600184925431.jpeg 1600184963692.jpeg
1600184998093.jpeg

Attachments

• 1600184997443.jpeg
    1600184997443.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi, I don't know if the smoke is hurting her, but there is a possibility it could be causing her stress.
Her feces doesn't appear to have worms in it and her comb looks like it's a good color so that is a good sign!

Here are my tips:
1) Give her yogurt. The cultures/ healthy bacteria in yogurt might help her. Make sure to give her plain greek yogurt or plain yogurt. Try to avoid flavored yogurts, and yogurts with chunks, but if that is your only option, then you'll have to make that work.

2) Does she seem cold? If she does, I would set up a heat lamp and let her go as close or far to it as she would like.

3) Try to get chick probiotic and electrolite. If she is stressed, this will help her and also give her some probiotics and eletrolies. I get mine from TSC, but you can use it on any aged bird (I use it on my quail!)
:) -Lauren

Sorry if there are any typos I was typing fast

Hi, I don't know if the smoke is hurting her, but there is a possibility it could be causing her stress.
Her feces doesn't appear to have worms in it and her comb looks like it's a good color so that is a good sign!

Here are my tips:
1) Give her yogurt. The cultures/ healthy bacteria in yogurt might help her. Make sure to give her plain greek yogurt or plain yogurt. Try to avoid flavored yogurts, and yogurts with chunks, but if that is your only option, then you'll have to make that work.

2) Does she seem cold? If she does, I would set up a heat lamp and let her go as close or far to it as she would like.

3) Try to get chick probiotic and electrolite. If she is stressed, this will help her and also give her some probiotics and eletrolies. I get mine from TSC, but you can use it on any aged bird (I use it on my quail!)
:) -Lauren

Sorry if there are any typos I was typing fast
Thank you! I’ll get some probiotics for her. I’ve been giving her Greek yoghurt. She doesn’t seem cold

Back
Top Bottom