Chicken with crookneck? goiter? (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Starchasm, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Starchasm

Starchasm Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Hi!

I went out this morning to let the chickens into their run and I noticed that Sarah Jane, my Barred Rock, has something strange going on with her head or neck. She's holding her head at an angle on her back, and it feels as though there may be a lump of some kind on the right forcing it to the side (it may also be a curved neck, it's hard to tell).

She doesn't appear to be in any pain, but she isn't scratching and pecking like usual, and she won't lift her head from this position.

I looked at the prior threads/pictures of crookneck and wry neck but this doesn't seem to be quite the same thing. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it crookneck? (She's almost a year old).

Here are pics (sorry about the Rhode Island Red, Donna really wanted her picture taken):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It probably is wry neck, also called torticolis. It can be a symptom of several things, such as a head or neck injury, a vitamin deficiency, Mareks disease or avian leukosis, or from infectious diseases in later stage where there may be brain inflammation. Usually giving poultry vitamins or Vitamin B1, vitamin E, and the mineral selenium, reducing too much noise and stimulation, and helping with getting enough food and water is the best treatment. Her right side may look full since her muscles are in spasm, but feel of her chest, neck, and crop area for air under the skin which feels like a balloon.

3. Starchasm

May 8, 2014
    I don't feel any air pockets, but her neck is definitely curved. She was perfectly fine at bedtime last night.

She seems to have perked up a bit and is moving around more, so maybe an injury? I'll hedge my bets and get some vitamin E and selenium just in case.

4. Starchasm

May 8, 2014
    This morning she was still crooknecked and listless. I gave her some water, but she wouldn't eat. I went out and got the supplements when I picked up three new chicks.

When I went out to give them to her she was PERFECTLY FINE. She's running around, pecking, and giving herself dirt baths.

I'm going to give the supplements just to be sure, but...chickens. Weird.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Well, that is great news. The vitamins won't hurt any of your chickens. I hope it doesn't happen again.

6. w2teals

w2teals Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    she say "psych momma! I got ya" just figured she would keep you on your toes. Glad to hear everything is okay now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by