Chicken With Cut On Foot....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Dec 30, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello everyone! A couple of days ago, I noticed one of my girls was limping pretty badly. So I inspected her feet and on the right foot, inner toe, she had a small cut on her pad that had scabbed over. The pad was red and inflamed, so I will assume it happened the previous day. I have no idea what she might have cut it on, as they don't free range and I keep an orderly yard for them, but things happen.

Anyway, I have been cleaning up her foot and applying neosporin 5 or so times a day for the past 2 days. The swelling and redness has gone down and she is not limping. However the pad is still bigger than it should be, soft and not hard. The abrasion area is still a tad red and I do not want it to turn into Bumble Foot. The mud and snow is everywhere and since she is not limping I am not confining her because of the injury.

Am I doing the right thing? Should I be doing something else to keep the infection down and could it still turn into bumble foot? Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I had a hen that broke her toenail off and before I put her back in the coop I wrapped her toe with cotton ball and electrical tape... 2 days later and the tape is still clean... crazy! This may help to keep some of the dirt out.

3. Chickmagnet9

Chickmagnet9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Hi there!

Veteracin, Veteracin, Veteracin. It's gold in a bottle. I swear to you, get it today, use it at least two times a day. You will notice a difference by the next day.

Cm9

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone! What is "veteracin"? And where do you get it?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. Chickmagnet9

Chickmagnet9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    I think its actually Vetericyn. They have it at any feed store. Petco has it too in the dog shampoo area. It's in a blue spray bottle. I've used it on myself. You can even drop in eyes and swallow it. You can use it on anyone or anything. Get it. Don't walk, run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by