1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by epitidios, Jul 11, 2010.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Hi

One of my chickens suffers from diarrhea. How this can be cured? Any tips?

2. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you give us more information?
    How old is the chicken?

3. Channel23

Channel23 New Egg

Jul 11, 2010
    Deffinetly need more info, Please. But what is often considered diahorea to humans is common for chickens try adding more solids to their foods and if you are feeding scraps try more pellets and less scraps and see if this helps. Other wise they may need some grit?Worming, or treating for mites?

4. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    It is a few weeks old, i think it is 10-12 weeks. It also had problems with parasites (lice/mites) on its feathers, but now it's clean from them. I lost one with same symptoms last Friday, and i would if its possible to save this one. The vet gave me a medicine for worms and tapes to mix it with the food. He also adviced me to give them aminoacids and selenium with the water. I am giving these, but the diarrhea stays. Any ideas how to stop it???

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  6. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    For some reasons i kept a little bit of that medication that the vet gave me. So i gave it to the ill bird. The droppings from oily and foamy (as the pictures says ) turned to what the pictures describe as fly maggots. This morning they look normal. Does this mean that the bird removed the worms from its body? I really hope so. Thanx a lot gritsar your pictures helped a lot.

7. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    This bird still puzzles me. I went down and the droppings were watery.... I wonder what is going on? If this bird skips it. it will become the mascot of the flock for ever.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  8. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Like gritsar said, watery poops are part of the normal rotation and may not be cause for concern on their own.
    One more thing that occurred to me - have the temperatures been hot where you live? I've heard that diarrhea is pretty common in hot weather because the chickens are drinking a lot more - and I have definitely observed it with my flock this week!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    Quote:Due to its illness, the chick is isolated. I have it inside a basket inside the house. The area is dry, well aired with the temperature being around 23-24 C (75 F). At night the temperature there is around 19 C (68 F). I hope that everything will be fine, since she is eating normally. Together with the water i am giving her amicoacids and selenium since she lost a lot of weight.

10. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Quote:That really is a helpfully collection of poo pics. Words cannot describe some things. Now I am sure my chix are doing good. I had noticed some odd poo which apparently do fall into the "normal" poo category.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by