Chicken with Diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christifreitas, Oct 6, 2013.

1. christifreitas

christifreitas New Egg

Apr 30, 2013
    Hey everyone! just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their Chickens. I have 6 in my small flock, but one has had diarrhea. it is pretty much complete liquid. they are free range with supplemental laying feed, so I don't know if this could be from some environmental cause or if there is something else going on. let me know if there are any causes y'all know of or cures. TIA!!

Christi

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Put some electrolytes in her water,cut back on treats. Some reasons for diarrhea are : worms,cocci,diets high in protein,abundance of treats,bacterial or change in feed. Try a little plain probiotic yogurt,but not too much as excess dairy products can also cause diarrhea. Epsom salts can also be given in feed for stopping diarrhea. Is she eating?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When a chicken drinks a lot of water in warm weather they can have pure watery stools. They also may have worms. A good broad spectrum wormer such a s Valbazen used once and repeated in 10 days might help. Probiotics or plain yogurt occasionally will benefit the intestinal flora.

5. christifreitas

christifreitas New Egg

Apr 30, 2013
    As far as I can tell she is eating. she scratches and pecks in the grass, and I have seen her at their feeder. we will try some yogurt, and take it from there. thanks so much!!

6. christifreitas

christifreitas New Egg

Apr 30, 2013
    After looking at the link and pics I think it is from the heat. (What my husband said too, lol). it has been kinda cool here and got warm again yesterday and today . Still going to try the yogurt just in case!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by