1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with dog bite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lkthomas, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Lkthomas

Lkthomas New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Idaho
    I found an injured chicken. She has a puncture wound under her wing. I've researched and I think she's a Polish. She is eating and drinking well. Seems to be a decent weight. Doesn't seem to be in pain. Her wing droops and she can't use it. I've cleaned wound with warm salt water and put Neosporin on it. It is draining some blood from it still. Is there anything else I can do for her? Also going to bathroom well and it looks normal.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Her wing could be broken. Apply pressure to the bleeding wound for 2-3 minutes to help it clot. Flour or blood stop powder can help. The puncture wound could close off and form an abscess, so I would be cleaning it with peroxide or betadine for a day or two, then stop. The Neosporin may help keep the puncture open so that it heals from the inside out. QTips may help with that. Here is a good link on how to wrap a broken wing in a figure 8 bandage: http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm

3. Lkthomas

Lkthomas New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    Idaho
    THANK YOU!!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by