Chicken with dog wound and didnt get time to start treatment. is it too late?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovechooks, Oct 10, 2013.

1. lovechooks

lovechooks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Last Friday my neighbor's friend's dog got in my yard and killed 4 of my chickens and wounded 1. I have her in a dog crate separated and I didnt get a chance to irrigate or clean the wound as I had to leave for the weekend. my husband didnt think she would make it over the weeknd, but she is still alive. I have never nursed a chicken before: they normally die from shock. I am reading your threads and think I have left it too late to put anything on her wound. its on her back and now is smelling. no magogts or puss or anything, but smells bad. Oh, she sits down and cant walk for long. Not sure if shes gettting enought to eat, but I have food and water in there. My hubby wont let me take her to a vet, so it has to be a home remedy. Any advice?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have betadine, hibiclens, or just plain dish soap, mix some with water and cleanse the area washing away any pus or dead looking tissue. Dry it and apply neosporin or other antibiotic ointment. Keeping flies off of it, and feeding her extra protein like eggs, tuna, liver, etc may help. An antibiotic like penicillin, amoxicillin, or keflex would help the infection. Penicillin is readily available in shot form at most farm stores. Here is a link to giving shots: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585188/chicken-penicillin-dosage and

http://shilala.homestead.com/injection.html

3. lovechooks

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks for the help. she's still alive and doing OK. I think she's lost weight but she can walk better and does eat and drink a little on her own. If I put her out for a little "exercise" the other top chickens peck at her. when can she re-join the rest of the flock without getting injured any further? She cant hop up on the roost (its too far off the ground) and she's not as strong as the others. I bought four 2 mo old pullets to replace those the dog killed, and they are in a sperate pen. i am thinking of putting her in there eventually with those young ones, as they are smaller than her and shouldnt attack her. Any advice?

4. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    She should be isolated until her wound is healed. She will most definitely be pecked on until then.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would make sure that her wound has healed because she could infect the younger chicks. BluKote is an antiseptic/blue color spray that will disquise wounds so they aren't pecked.

6. lovechooks

Apr 25, 2013
    How long does it normally take for a wound to heal? i think it is a deep skin wound, but not into the muscle. But, as this is my first time nursing a hen, I am not confident about the facts. I dont want to go to all this trouble to take care of her only to have her killed when I put her back in with the others. So, any idea how long these hens are to remain isolated for? Just curious. I appreciate any tips you all have. I am so new to this. But I was handfeeding her last week and now she is eating and drinking a little on her own. Obviously she is not laying (she is only 6 mo old) while she is recooperating.

7. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    The time frame is going to depend on the wound, infection, the overall health of the bird. You will know it is healed by looking at it, the same as you would your own. I JUST put a hen in confinement for a wound also, and I have no idea how long it will take. Weeks, maybe. She has a 3x3 inch piece of skin ripped off of her back with muscle exposed. It could take quite a while for her to really heal that over and reqrow skin and feathers. Then, she will have to be slowly reintroduced to the flock as if she were a completely new chicken.

8. lovechooks

Apr 25, 2013
    Just an update for those who helped me out. My chicken is alive and well and in with the other chooks. She is not laying yet but I am so proud of her. She is all healed up and feathers coming in nicely. She is quite the sweetie and will call out to me when I go past. thanks for you help. I couldn't have done it without your tips :) I am quite amazed at what we came through and having saved her. But, none of my other chickens are laying either since the dog attack. I just sent out another post to ask for advice. I have tired everything. No eggs- its been a month!

9. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Yay! I'm glad she is doing well. Do you have light in your coop? Between the scare and the short days, your hens may have decided to stop. That's what happened here. After I put a light in the coop, my egg production went back up. I have light on a timer. They need about 14-16 hours of light per day to keep laying. I'm shooting for 14-15 hours. I was getting them up at 3AM, but since the time change it is 2AM. Now they are going to bed by 5 PM. I have two strings of LED Christmas lights in the coop, and it seems like enough light for them. I am getting about 6-8 eggs a day from my 13 hens. (one is a polish, so I don't really expect much from her. :) ) Without the light, I was getting 0-2 per day.

My injured hen is in a cage still. I moved her out of the house and into the coop. since moving her back to the coop, she too, has resumed laying. Her skin is still growing back in, but once the feathers start regrowing, I will let her rejoin the flock. I figured keeping her in a cage IN the coop would at least keep her in the pecking order a little bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by