Chicken with droopy wings (when its hot).. is it always a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undine, Aug 13, 2013.

1. undine

undine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I know having droopy wings is a symptom of having worms, but when a chicken is drooping her wing, is it always a bad sign? Sometimes i see my chickens with droopy wings when theyre just chilling/sitting down/standing still on a hot day. WHen they arent standing still or sitting down, their wings are back up and it looks normal. So is this is a sign of having worms, or is it because theyre hot and they wanna cool themselves by "airing" out their sides?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Droopy wings and panting...poor babies are hot and uncomfortable. You can put ice in their water or put up a mister.

I have never heard about the droopy wing means worms thing. Could be?? I try to worm & dust 2x a year anyway.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    AZBootsie hit the nail on the head. Your hens are holding their wings out to the side to release trapped body heat. It's just a cooling mechanism - not to worry. A general 'droopy' appearance may indicate worms or other illness, but droopy wings?????

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When they are too hot they will hold their wings away from their body just a little, and pant.

5. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Yeah =( it has been hot out and everyday ive been giving them ice water with electrolytes and vitamins. I even have a little fan blowing [​IMG]

6. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Haha yeah, droopy wings.. i guess? They put their wings down a little while holding them out a bit

7. undine

Jun 3, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks =) i was getting worried because ive been reading lots of stuff about gapeworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by