chicken with egg dripping from cloaca

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by diggspot, Jan 30, 2015.

1. diggspot

diggspot New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    I have a sick hen. She is hiding in the coop away from the other chickens and i noticed she had egg yolk dripping from her cloaca. I thought she might have a cracked shell inside or be egg bound so i soaked her back end in a nice warm bath and put her in a different coop then her flock. She has not passed anything yet and is still acting sad and lethargic. :)

Any advise is welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would put on a rubber glove, and feel inside about an inch or two for any membrane or shell fragments, and gently remove them. Many times when hens lay a soft egg with just a membrane, it will be spotted by another chicken quickly, and disappear. You can give her a calcium tablet or Tums tablet crushed in food, just in case she hasn't been eating enough crushed oyster shell or calcium. Is she getting layer feed? Keep an eye on her.

3. diggspot

diggspot New Egg

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks for the help. I did glove up and go in. Didnt feel anything though. :( A little bit of white/yellow liquid came out though. I will try again tomorrow and get her some tums tomorrow too. Any good way to get them to eat that?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can mix it in food, or take a calcium tablet and just push it in the back of the throat and they will swallow it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by