Chicken with eye problem.

Kimmie20

Hatching
May 31, 2021
Hi I bought a chicken yesterday from a lady but when I got her home her eyes do not look right . I got her with two other hens and they are fine can anyone tell me what they think is wrong with her ? I haven’t put them in with my other chickens yet.

Attachments

• 67D591C7-D7D7-4092-8267-58AFF9104B82.jpeg
    67D591C7-D7D7-4092-8267-58AFF9104B82.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 6
Hi I bought a chicken yesterday from a lady but when I got her home her eyes do not look right . I got her with two other hens and they are fine can anyone tell me what they think is wrong with her ? I haven’t put them in with my other chickens yet.
I hope you have her far away from your flock.
Is her face swollen on that side? How is her breathing? Any bubbles in the eyes?

I hope you have her far away from your flock.
Is her face swollen on that side? How is her breathing? Any bubbles in the eyes?
Her face is not swollen she is breathing fine and I don’t see any bubbles in her eyes . She is in with chickens she came with in a small pen .

Can you take them back?
I'm sorry, but sunken eye like that I would suspect respiratory illness. I think I see some bubbles in the eye - could be lighting. If she has an illness like Mycoplasma, this can be spread to your existing flock. The 2 hens you got with her would be exposed too.
It's a risk you will have to decide to take or not.

If you decide to keep them, then keep them quarantined away from your flock. Flush out her eyes and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. Press out any pus. Do this a couple of times a day. An antibiotic like Tylosin can help with symptoms but it is not a cure. Bird with respiratory disease like MG and those exposed will be carries for life. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

No I don’t think I could take them back . If I keep her will she eventually infect my whole flock ? I don’t want to infect my whole flock .

Back
Top Bottom