Chicken with eye swollen shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sannabelle, Feb 14, 2017.

1. sannabelle

sannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Rural Missouri
    [​IMG]Hello!!

I may just be overreacting, but I went out to check on my hens and one of my young black stars had her eye closed and it looked somewhat swollen. There is no goop or crust or any type of secretion- her breathing is normal. Could she have just gotten pecked in the eye by another hen? Can I do anything for her to alleviate swelling?

Most other posts I'm seeing the chicken has some type of crust or goo on their affected eye and that is not the case with her.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you have any ophthalmic antibiotic ointment or drops? In the absence of that, ordinary triple antibiotic ointment will work in a pinch. Make sure you get it inside the eye lid.

You might want to flush the eye first with saline eye moisturizer drops in case there's dirt in the eye.

1 person likes this.
  3. sannabelle

Mar 22, 2016
    Rural Missouri

I don't but I do have the regular stuff! Thanks so much. Do you think I should keep her separated? I don't want to stress her out by separating her but don't want to put her or my other hens in danger.

Thanks so much!

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I advise keeping an ailing chicken with their flock if at all possible. They do so much better. However, if she is being picked on, if the chickens are messing with her eye, then she needs to be segregated.

These eye ailments aren't usually contagious. And they resolve very quickly.

5. sannabelle

Mar 22, 2016
    Rural Missouri
    Tha

Thank you so much. I went and cleaned/medicated her eye and put her back in with everyone. These are new hens- they've been in quarantine for quite some time and just got put in with our flock a few days ago. she certainly could've gotten pecked by someone but doesn't seem to be being bullied in particular.

Thanks so much for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by