chicken with foot problem--please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by djuna, Jan 11, 2015.

1. djuna

djuna New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone have any experience with a chicken with this kind of foot injury? First developed in one chicken, and now second chicken has same symptoms--brown/black spot on back of foot. First chicken has lost its back toe. Both chickens' legs are redder than usual. Am trying treatment for various kinds of ailments, but am not sure what kind of ailment this is.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. What type of bedding are you using, and what have been the climate conditions lately? What does the bottoms of the feet look like? It could be pododermatitis (foot pad dermatitis) or some other bacterial or chemical dermatitis. Have you noticed the foot and leg joints being swollen?

3. djuna

djuna New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks very much for your reply. We use cedar shavings for bedding. We had one major cold snap before the first chicken started developing problems, but nothing like the cold we had last winter (during which they did not develop frostbite--they have a heated roost bar, and we turn on a heat lamp when it gets below 0). We've since had really awful low temperatures. Both chickens have been treated with an antibiotic in their water over the last two weeks.

4. djuna

djuna New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Haven't noticed any joint or foot swelling.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A heated nest bar? Can you explain more about that since I haven't heard of that. Could that have caused a burn? Most people with birds and chickens avoid cedar shavings since they can cause breathing problems, but pine shavings are fine. Could they have roosted on metal when it was too cold or too hot at some time? Penicillin is frequently used to treat staph infections in feet, especially with bumblefoot.

6. djuna

djuna New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    oops--sorry--I just checked the bag. We use pine shavings, not cedar shavings. The heated roost bar has a heating wire under a piece of carpet--it just gives out a very, very low level of heat. I don't think they've been burned.

I just looked at the bottoms of their feet and didn't see anything unusual. One chicken does have a red sore on the side of her leg as well as the dark brown spot.

Thanks for your ongoing suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by