Chicken with growth on face and closed eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gingersnap722, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Gingersnap722

Gingersnap722 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Can someone please tell me what they think may be wrong with my girl? She's getting around ok, but not as much energy as usual. She makes a chirping noise and has scratched at her eye. She is also shaking her head and you can see the growths forming on her. Any answers please? Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like Fowl Pox to me. Fowl Pox causes lesions like these on the face and on the comb. Fortunately, it isn't usually that serious and will go away on its own in 4-6 weeks. However, it can make birds uncomfortable and cause them to go off feed. It may also bring on a secondary bacterial respiratory infection.

To help the scabs go away, you can dab iodine on them. Give her electrolytes and probiotics to help keep her immune system strong to ward off a bacterial infection. If you begin to see more bubblieness around the eye, gasping, wheezing, or sneezing, treat with antibiotics. Tylan50, Duramycin, Terramycin, and Erythromycin are all good antibiotics for respiratory diseases.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. Gingersnap722

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    That's what I was thinking, but just not sure because we have another chicken that had the same thing and found her dead in the coop this morning. It looked like the other chickens had gotten after her. Do you think they would attack them because of these growths and kill them?

I've quarantined this girl for now.

4. Gingersnap722

Jun 13, 2013
    FL
    Thank you for the edit on your reply. I just gave her some scrambled eggs and regular feed soaked in electrolytes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by