Chicken with hacking cough & rattles when she breathes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CathyB59, Sep 25, 2011.

1. CathyB59

CathyB59 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    Hello. I have a 6 month old pullet that started coughing yesterday. It's a prolonged hacking type cough that sounds like she trying to expel something from her throat. Today she rattles when she breathes. I looked down her throat and can't see anything. Her crop seems fine. She doesn't have any discharge from her eyes, nose or throat. I'm thinking she has something stuck in her throat. She's acting okay and eating and drinking just fine. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    One of my hens had a cough when I bought her. She sounded a bit asthmatic when she was breathing while asleep aswell. No other symptoms, she was acting normally, eating & drinking. I took her to the vet and he diagnosed the start of an upper respiratory infection. She had a couple of long acting antibiotic injections and she's fine now. Hope this helps x

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

If she sounds like an old coffee maker, it's probably a respiratory infection (often bacterial pneumonia). A et can diagnose for certain and prescribe antibiotics, but if that's not possible, there are several meds out there for chickens with respiratory infections (such as CRD infections), and there are good old fashioned antibiotics like agromycin, oxytetracycline, and penicillin. I'd bring your girl in and put her in a warm dry spot & give her the medicine and make sure she's eating.

4. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Oh yes, bringing them in and spoiling them rotten goes a long way in making them feel better [​IMG]

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:I'm wondering how you looked down her throat?

6. CathyB59

CathyB59 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    SE Montana
    Actually, my husband looked down her throat. I held her and he held her neck with one hand and opened her mouth with the other hand. You had to look quick because she would jerk her head away. And you couldn't see very far down. I was mostly looking for gapeworms or mucus. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

7. Shaelink05

Shaelink05 New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    okay so my chicken is doing the same thing and we dont really have a poultry vet very near, so i read about the penicillin and i was wondering how many cc would you give her and for how long? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by