Chicken with hard breathing almost raspy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nlsf, Mar 10, 2017.

1. nlsf

nlsf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Today I went out to feed my chickens some scratch like I do every day. One of my girls came up to see me like normal but then I heard the sound. I figured out it was her breathing,hard breathing almost raspy. Other than the sound of her breathing she's acting completely normal. It is an extremely hot where I live today so I doubt it is from heat. I've never encountered this before and have no clue how to handle it. If anyone has any idea of what is causing this and how I can Help the poor girl please let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is something called stridor where they can get a small piece of food or other material like a mucus plug in the airway, and it can sound like a high pitched wheeze when they breathe in and out. It usually stops after time when they clear their airway. I'm not sure it that is what you are hearing or not.

3. nlsf

nlsf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    I opened her mouth and saw what looked like a piece of corn stuck of the top of her mouth but when I re opened it to verify that's what it was I could no longer see it. Do you think this is what caused it?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be. Is she still making the sound? I would look again tomorrow just because sometimes there can be yellow spots or patches that can be infection, such as in some respiratory diseases or diseases like canker. They could look like a piece of corn, but I hope it was corn.

5. nlsf

nlsf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    I just checked her tonight, it's about 9pm here so they were bedded for the night. I didn't hear any sounds now although she was making almost a cooing sound which isn't normal for her. I will check on her in the morning thank you so much for your help and support. I was freaking out not know what to look for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by