chicken with hard Superior larynx... HELP NEEDED!

DsrtBratChicken

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2015
Apple Valley, CA
I recently got some baby chicks April 22nd 2015, they are now 8 months old, have been laying eggs for a few months now, the problem I am having now is one of my Welsummer hens isn't eating much and it feels like there is a hard spot under her beak/throat area, and if i gently squeeze it, it hurts her she hisses in pain. I would like to try and fix this on my own if at all possible, bc I can't afford to take her to the vet right now I'm broke.... What should I DO, what else should i check for? Should i feel her stomach area n see if her crop is swollen? any advice is greatly appreciated, I will get a picture of her as soon as I can, I think she's also been throwing up, bc she had a black substance in her mouth yesterday when i checked on her. Going out to check on her now.

I call her Sweet Pea, she's such a sweet girl, but she has me worried about the swelling and tenderness on throat/jaw area, like it may of faced some trauma, but i'm going out to check her crop, that may be the issue and if so i'll take her away from the flock, and treat her for the issue, best I can, and hope she gets better. I'm not sure how to decrease swelling on jaw, if that's the issue, I have been watching her and she doesn't close her beak all the way like it hurts her to do so. I'll check the crop this morning though, as I said any n all advice given is appreciated. This is the first time i've had this problem so I'm hoping to fix it asap. I was going to take some liquid yogurt out to her n see if she'll eat that, it's got pro-biotics in it, so I'm not sure if she'll eat it but it's worth the try. Hoping to help her get some food in her system she drinks water fine, but I'm going to put some probiotics out in their water, and some Apple cider vinegar out to help them all, I gave them pumpkin all last month so they should be thoroughly dewormed, but if I have to buy stuff for that I will.

Last edited:

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to go check on her and see if the crop is swollen, and do whatever i can to help her heal, get her back to normal. I'll also be doing some reading up on all this while i finish crocheting a blanket which is a christmas gift.

Back
Top Bottom