Chicken with head injury

Asriix

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
Yesterday, I went out to give my chickens their daily treat, when I noticed one of them had a strange looking head. Turns out she had gotten an injury (crossed paths with an escaped young rooster, but I checked her right after and there was no visible injury??) and I guess the hens have been pecking at it for 2 days.

So, I pulled her out, gave her antibiotics and cleaned the wound with water/coated it with Triple antibiotic ointment (Pain reliever free)

I also set her up in a separate cage inside the Chicken run right next to the coop so she could be safe, but separate and I wouldnt have to reintroduce her later. Right now, her Best friend sits next to the cage with her, keeping her company. It’s cute.

But anyway, I took a look to clean and inspect the wound today, it looks ever so slightly better, but it also looks like there’s a flap of skin that’s barely hanging on that might just fall off because when she shakes her head it just flops around and won’t stay attached to her head.

I’m not sure what to do about that, this is my very first chicken injury. I thought about binding it with gauze or something to help it heal together, but with the way it is on her head I’d be scared she’d be unable to eat or it’d choke her.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me about that in particular? If it does fall off, after it heals will the other hens want to peck at it because it has no feathers?

She’s eating fine and aside from some complaining, seems okay. She’s upset about being separated though.

I also ordered save a chick, just as an extra precaution.
Thank you guys! And sorry for the text wall!

Attachments

• 520B69B9-41B6-4A7F-9FF1-6AF55FD6C661.jpeg
    520B69B9-41B6-4A7F-9FF1-6AF55FD6C661.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 14
It really depends. I had a chick who was completely plucked by her other chicks. Once one chicken gets hurt, they sort of all join together to peck that one chicken. I would suggest for you to just separate her and rejoin her back to her flock but check on her and make sure none of the chickens peck her. I think that overall the chickens might not peck her if it is just missing some feathers

I would not apply a dressing. If there's a flap of skin, then it will eventually dry up and fall off naturally.
Keep the wound moist with your triple antibiotic ointment and inspect the wound frequently since she's outside, you sure don't want flies to lay egg in the wound and cause flystrike.

If you need to, trim some of those feathers out of the way of the wound so you can see it better and make it easier to apply your ointment.

I would not apply a dressing. If there's a flap of skin, then it will eventually dry up and fall off naturally.
Keep the wound moist with your triple antibiotic ointment and inspect the wound frequently since she's outside, you sure don't want flies to lay egg in the wound and cause flystrike.

If you need to, trim some of those feathers out of the way of the wound so you can see it better and make it easier to apply your ointment.
Thank you, I’ll do that!

Back
Top Bottom