chicken with head tilted to one side!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Auntbessy, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Auntbessy

Auntbessy New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    Help - my Bearded Belgian Booted Bantum Coq has his head twisted to one side??? I have given him water and some food but he cannot see to level his head out?? has anyone come across this before - not sure what to do!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is torticolis, also called wry neck, crook neck, and can be a symptom of a head injury, a vitamin E deficiency, and other conditions that can affect the brain. Give your chicken vitamin E and selenium daily, and make sure that she is getting a normal amount of food and water. Poultry Nutri-drench and Poultry Cell vitamin tonics contain both E and selenium, (dosage is 1 ml daily for a bantam,) or you can give other brands of poultry vitamins or PolyVisol 2 drops daily, and add a little chopped egg or tuna for selenium to the diet. Some have found that adding water to feed, and holding the chicken in a towel to help them eat a couple of times a day, may help to get enough to eat. This problem may persist for days or weeks. You can find quite a bit of info by doing a search for "crook neck chicken." Let us know how she gets along.

3. Auntbessy

Auntbessy New Egg

Jan 9, 2015
    Thank you so much -I shall look into getting some vitamin E etc - am over in France so not sure exactly what I should be looking for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by