Chicken with hurt foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ajackalope, Nov 9, 2016.

1. ajackalope

ajackalope Just Hatched

Nov 9, 2016
    Last night all my hens were fine but this morning when I went out to see them one of them was holding one of her feet up in a "fist". She was trying to walk on it using the wing on the same side for balance. She has no other injuries. Any ideas.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she, and do you know if she received any vaccination for Mareks? This sounds more like an injury. Injuries can be very common from jumping down from roosts or being jumped on. Riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis where they may walk on curled under toes and walk or sit on their hocks. I have had hens who held up an injured leg, and some who have tried to walk on them. Mareks disease is something to be aware of, and can cause many different symptoms, but paralysis of one or both legs or wings, and loss of balance can be common as first signs. I would try poultry vitamins containing riboflavin in the water, as well as making sure she is close to food and water. Placing them in a dog crate kept with the other chickens is a good way to handle injury. Resting an injured leg can help to recover. Keep us posted on how she gets along. Here is some info on Mareks and riboflavin deficiency:
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/

3. ajackalope

ajackalope Just Hatched

Nov 9, 2016
    I have 6 Jersey Red Rocks, they are 18 months old. They were not vaccinated for Mareks.I think it might have happened when she jumped off the roost in the morning because she is a little better tonight. If she is the same in the morning I will confine her.

The other weird thing is that out of 6 hens only one melted in the middle of October.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes when they have an injury, they will limit their own activity, but I have seen mine try to break their necks to be where the other flock members are during the day. Using a poultry vitamin in the water does no harm to the others, and riboflavin rich foods are plain yogurt, beef liver, red meats, mushrooms, and crushed almonds. Please update us on her condition in a day or so.

5. ajackalope

ajackalope Just Hatched

Nov 9, 2016
    I'very been giving them a high protein food because one of them was molting but I will add supplemental food and vitamins. I tried to confine her in a box this morning and she hopped out before I was even out the door.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would not begin to think disease....... Probably and injury from jumping off the roost.......

Chickens are tough........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by