Chicken with hurt leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by derek2120, Mar 17, 2017.

1. derek2120

derek2120 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    I found my hen lieing on the floor in the coop not moving she was trying to get up but falling to the side and her foot was curled up I took her to the vets who said they didn't think she had broken it but maybe just injured it jumping or somthing I've got some medicine to take the pain away but I was advised to keep her in a confined space till she heals so she won't do more damage. I can't keep her in the house as I have three cats who won't stop going up to her and stressing her out so I've put her in the nesting box with food and water it has unuff room for her to move about slightly and blocked her in it is this ok for me to do as long as i keep checking on her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is your hen? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she able to get to food and water? Have you thought of placing her in a dog crate inside the coop with her own food and water? I would use poultry vitamins in her water or dissolve a human vitamin BComplex tablet in her water daily. Mareks disease can cause paralysis of one or both legs or wings. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled under toes and curled to paralysis. Keeping her near food and water, and limiting her walking would be something to try, but let us know if she has further symptoms. An injury may be her problem, but I would try the vitamins.

3. derek2120

derek2120 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi she is nearly two years old she's not been vaccinated for Mareks disease, yeh she's eating and drinking fine my coop isn't big unuff for a dog crate to fit in but the nesting box is bout same size as a cat box so she's got her own food and water in it. She is trying to walk on it but she can't foot does look a lot better now since I've been giving her the medicine the vet gave me she's not got them curled or looking so limp. il defo try her with the vitamins and see how I get on also her poo is watery I'm not sure if it's because of medicine or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by