Chicken with injured foor

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by miller4494, Apr 8, 2017.

1. miller4494

miller4494 New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    [​IMG]
    I have a four week old chick with an injured foot. Has been like this for a week or so. Walks on it ok. Doesn't seem in pain. Any ideas on what's wrong?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under miller4494 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens and I recommend you post your pictures on the ER Forum for some expert advice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

However, I believe that the sudden curling of toes in older chickens [not young chicks with splayed or spraddle leg] can be caused by a Thiamine deficiency. My research indicates that birds can show these symptoms after three weeks on a diet deficient in this vitamin. Other causes can be riboflavin deficiency in which the “curled toes” is a characteristic symptom. Or avian encephalomyelitis which also has muscle tremor.

What are you feeding them?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What's wrong with her foot is the toes are curled around backwards. Either they were broken and healed incorrectly, or as Teila outlined, other causes. They don't get better on their own.

4. miller4494

miller4494 New Egg

Apr 8, 2017
    We started with a medicated commercial chick feed and switched to an unmediated commercial feed this past week.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, miller4494, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! You've already received a lot of great advice and links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by