Chicken with injured foot stopped laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chlsredhair, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Chlsredhair

Chlsredhair New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    One of my chickens has had an injured foot since I found her. She was a stray chicken who wandered up to my house with what appeared to be a broken foot. She has always walked on the top of her foot with her toes splayed out behind her. I don't know what happened to her, but as I said, she's been this way since I found her. About a month ago, she lost one of her toes. We think she snagged it on something and pulled it off. The wound has healed over with no infections that we can see and she still eats/drinks/socializes and walks as normally as she ever has. After the toe incident, she stopped laying. She'd only been laying for about 2 months, but was laying every other day. Will she lay again and is there anything I can do to help her?

Here are pictures of her foot, but as I said, she's looked like this as long as I've had her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What a pretty girl!

I would guess she will start again. I have a crippled older hen ( 3 years?) who didn't lay for months after her injury last fall, but is now laying about every other day. I've had them slow down or stop before after some sort of shakeup, then start again. I'll bet she will be laying in a month or two at most.

3. Chlsredhair

Chlsredhair New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks so much. I'll just keep an eye on her.

4. Chlsredhair

Chlsredhair New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    Happy to report that my hen has started laying again! She's even laying more frequently than she was before the toe accident! Yay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by