Chicken with injured leg, "pawing" at ground

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlazeJester, Nov 16, 2011.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My 14wk black australorp showed up yesterday evening after free ranging, limping pretty badly on her right side. I picked her up and checked for breaks and the leg felt fine aside from some heat from swelling in her "palm". She showed no signs of distress while I was checking her over and is bright eyed and bushy tailed aside from not wanting to use her leg.

When I went to check on her today she was eating and drinking normally, but was "pawing" at the air (like horses do) with her gimp leg. She will walk on it and does so with her toes splayed normally, but limps as though it pains her to use it.

The roost in their run is 24" off the ground and she has been roosting on it since her injury. Should I sequester her to prevent her from using the roost? I have a hospital coop I can use if necessary, but I'm not sure what I can do for her aside from keeping her quiet and starting her on electrolytes to boost her immune system.

Here is a link to the video I took of her "pawing" with the leg:

Awesome. It's sideways. Well, align yourself with the walls and it'll be right-side up [​IMG]

Thoughts are appreciated.

2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Looking at the video( she's a beauty, by the way) it reminds me of when one of my roosters had injured his foot. He made almost the same foot motions. I think he wanted to put his foot down, but it was a little painful to do so. He would walk a few steps with the tinyest of limp, then stand with the foot in the air.

Is she doing better today? I don't think I would worry about her roosting unless she stayed up there- meaning if she wouldn't jump down because of the pain. As long as she is doing well, and the others are not picking on her, I would leave her be.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    She is still limping around, but she seems to be doing better and putting more weight on the leg. Though poking her hock did provoke some squawking, it's her foot that concerns me - it's swollen and now showing signs of bruising. She was free-ranging when she injured herself and they were in the driveway when several cars were coming/going, so it's possible (though I'd think unlikely) that she somehow got her foot caught under a tire. I'd like to think they're smarter than that... but my roommate doesn't like them very much and unfortunately may have taken it out on a chicken if he stepped in poop.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I had a cinnamon queen when she was about 31/2 months old get between the walls in her coop. Dont know how long she was there before we found her. Probably at least a few hours. After that she developed a limp like yours is doing. It took a good month or more but now you cant tell she had a problem. I kept her in a seperate coop and run with a friend for about a month before I let her back with the GP. Give good protien snacks and I did some vitamin water for a few days.

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    one of my hen hurt herself once before, I thought she hurt her foot too, but then it looks like her shoulder. it went away few days, I think she hurt herself from jumping down the perch.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She doesn't have bumblefoot, right?

I'd give the roommate a good stern talking too about respecting all living creatures. And let him know that any actions against your pets will be met with an eviction notice. Bully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by