Chicken with injured leg - which antibiotic to use??

sadies chicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Northwest
My Montana has been in the chicken ER for the past 3 weeks. Her legs were injured somehow overnight in the coop. So far her left leg has made an almost complete recovery whereas her right leg is much worse. She will barely put weight on it and there is a sore on the top of the leg, it is not open but is not getting better. I was putting Blue-Kote on it but I think it is getting worse. Her entire leg is very hot to the touch so I think internal meds are necessary.

So....the question is....which antibiotic do I use? I see many places to use tetracycline hydrochloride and I also see to use Baytril.

Also, do I give her warm or cool bath soaks?

Any advice is appreciated!

Try cleansing her wounds with either a diluted Betadine solution or Betadine Scrub, if you use the scrub you can let it sit for 10 to 15 min and rinse off thoroughly. Dry her leg and apply Vetricyn Spray. I've found this spray works wonders and you usually don't have to give antibiotics.
I'm personally not a fan of just giving antibiotics unless you know specifically what you're dealing with infection or illness wise.
Vetricyn is pricey but worth it. Doesn't take much before you see a huge difference.
Are you sure her leg isn't broken? Also, have you given her anything for the inflammation? Aspirin? She may have damaged the now sore leg more when compensating for the injured leg that's already healing. Cold soaks will be best for heat in leg and reducing swelling or inflammation.

Hopefully you'll get other suggestions and she can get some relief soon

Thanks! I am 99% sure her leg isn't broken, I can't feel anything different between the two legs. I have been giving her aspirin to help with the pain but then I saw last night that I shouldn't give it to her if she has an infection cause it is a blood-thinner. I too am hesitant to give antibiotics and will definitely try the spray first...I am really not a fan of giving any type of meds to animals unless they REALLY need it. Poor Montana has been in that cardboard box for 3 weeks now and there is not much improvement (although she is moving around better, uses her wings as crutches) and I think both she and I are getting a bit tired of it
hmm.png

Thanks again for the spray info, I will go out today and get some!

I think the pain relief is okay to give as it can make a big difference in their ability to cope. I'm not sure why the infection would be a contraindication for the aspirin water (can you provide link to info you came across?). A vet may prefer Metacam but you would likely need a presciption to get it.

JJ

Oh geez, at this point I am not sure I could find the link, I have been through so many lately
hmm.png
I will still give her Aspirin then since it does seem to have helped in the last week. This stuff is so confusing sometimes
roll.png
BUT if this ever happens again (and it better not) I will be more educated and will know what to do sooner rather than later.

I really appreciate your help!!

I understand totally Sarah. There is much to read/sift through and it's really hard when one of our feathered friends needs help NOW.

I'm not sure from the descrip whether your bird actually had an injury that broke the skin or not. If so, infection may be the issue. If not, inflammation from injury might be the issue. Cool may help in the case of the latter. Metacam would probably also help if you have a vet who would prescribe it.

I hope Montana will be okay.

JJ

Last edited:
Thanks JJ
smile.png
The injury did not break the skin, rather it is - well, from what I can tell and this is how I can explain it - is more like a bed sore from sitting that has started to have small areas where blood IS starting to ooze out. Mind you, they are really small areas, but still.... I wish I had taken a picture before I put Blue-Kote on it since there is no way to see it right now. It is probably a direct result of her leg injury and not a sore from sitting, but that is just what it looks like to me. The affected area is spreading towards her toes slightly.

For now, I am heading to Coastal to get the Vetricyn spray, along with the Tetracycline. At least I will have both on hand. I may do both to be on the safe side. I just really don't see much improvement and something needs to change
hmm.png
It just kills me that she just sits in her box all day, it is so unlike her
sad.png

I will keep you posted
smile.png

My vet uses Baytril because he said it will penetrate the membranes of the brain, where as the other drugs will not. He said often infections in poultry get out of hand very quickly. He gave me a pretty good sized bottle of liquid Baytril for like $10. So, it's really not that expensive, either. My baby turkey took 14 days of Baytril- twice a day, here recently when she got very, very ill. She's alive now, so I'm going to trust my vet on that one.
wink.png

I know you said Montana hurt her leg in the coop, is she a LF breed? the reason I am asking is sometimes we put the roost to high and the LF can hurt their legs when jumping down from the roost. That happened to my LF Brahma hen. She is still recovering, so I have lowered the roost from 3 and 4' to 1 and 2 and 31/2'that way my small bantams can get up on the roost with out a problem and my Large Brahmas and Orps can get up and down without injury. I hope Montana will soon be good as new, The Vetricyn spray is the best stuff out their. Well worth the money.

Can I assume LF means Large Fowl? (or something similar) and YES she is a Brahma! 5 months old. Ok, I will speak with DH and see how we can lower the roosts. They are in a ladder format right now. I just purchased the Vetricyn and have already applied it, so here's hoping! If I don't start seeing a difference in a few days (maybe 2 max?) I will call the vet for an antibiotic. The feed store I went to doesn't have Tetracycline, and just inject-able drugs (which I am not comfortable with yet).

Back
Top Bottom