chicken with Injured neck after attack

Tcmb

Hatching
Mar 10, 2018
My new dog attacked a chicken yesterday. There appears to be almost no visible injuries. She can just about stand with support but cannot lift her head. As such I cannot feed her or give water. She is just lying in the straw. Her breathing is regular and obvious but not especially laboured. This happened 18 hours ago. There has been no improvement during this time. Possibly slight deterioration. I don’t want to end her suffering if she might improve but I feel so awful to let her stay in this state. Can anyone advise?

Welcome to BYC. I would try to prop her up on rolled towels to get her upright. A chick chair or chicken sling, which you can Google for pictures, would be very good as well. Then hold her head up and offer water. I would give her some Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml daily a drop at a time, and that contains thiamin, vitamin E, and selenium which can help with neck problems or wry neck. I hope the chick starts responding.

If she does not improve in the next day, she may not survive. My dog killed one of my pullets who had flown over out yard fence, and it had no marks on it. They can get internal injuries from squeezing. We used a shock collar on the dog after placing the body in front of him, and after that he never would go near a chicken.

Welcome to BYC. I would try to prop her up on rolled towels to get her upright. A chick chair or chicken sling, which you can Google for pictures, would be very good as well. Then hold her head up and offer water. I would give her some Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml daily a drop at a time, and that contains thiamin, vitamin E, and selenium which can help with neck problems or wry neck. I hope the chick starts responding.

If she does not improve in the next day, she may not survive. My dog killed one of my pullets who had flown over out yard fence, and it had no marks on it. They can get internal injuries from squeezing. We used a shock collar on the dog after placing the body in front of him, and after that he never would go near a chicken.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We’ve been propping her up and syringing water. We are remote and won’t have access to a shop to buy supplies until Monday. I think nature will decide before. She doesn’t appear stressed.

You can use Pedialyte or Gatorade temporarily for electrolytes until you can bet some. Baby food and chicken feed with a lot of water to make it soupy or egg is always good. They can choke if given more than a drop or two at a time, so it is good to get her to take it herself. Really hoping she makes it, and good that you are helping her.

Thanks, we’re giving it a go. Really appreciate your input, thank you. She holding on.

Back
Top Bottom