Chicken with leg injury!

Jjbragg72

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2018
I have a leghorn, she will not bear weight on her right leg. She will put it down but will put weight on it or walk. She has a hard time getting up, if I help stand her up she will stand on one leg. I have check every inch of her leg top to bottom several times and can’t find anything wrong. She is eating, drinking, pooping, laying and alert. I’m at a complete lose. She was fine the day before. She doesn’t act like she is in pain but sometimes when she stretches her leg out it does tremble. I have inspected her feet and mail as well. I have also soaked her in an epson salt bath. She is currently living her best life as a house chicken! She is so sweet and one of my favorites, help!

Attachments

• 36B1F969-26FA-4697-830A-F8481F9AA34F.jpeg
    36B1F969-26FA-4697-830A-F8481F9AA34F.jpeg
    457.7 KB · Views: 59
I know you have checked her leg and foot but maybe it would be helpful to get another set of eyes on it. Maybe you could post a pic or two for people to see here? She’s a cutie 😊

I have a leghorn, she will not bear weight on her right leg. She will put it down but will put weight on it or walk. She has a hard time getting up, if I help stand her up she will stand on one leg. I have check every inch of her leg top to bottom several times and can’t find anything wrong. She is eating, drinking, pooping, laying and alert. I’m at a complete lose. She was fine the day before. She doesn’t act like she is in pain but sometimes when she stretches her leg out it does tremble. I have inspected her feet and mail as well. I have also soaked her in an epson salt bath. She is currently living her best life as a house chicken! She is so sweet and one of my favorites, help!
Welcome To BYC

You mention she stretches her leg and it trembles. This could indicate a neurological issue or disease.

I'd try giving her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with 400IU Vitamin E. A treat of egg daily will help with the uptake of E.
See that she's eating her normal feed and drinking.

Welcome To BYC

You mention she stretches her leg and it trembles. This could indicate a neurological issue or disease.

I'd try giving her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with 400IU Vitamin E. A treat of egg daily will help with the uptake of E.
See that she's eating her normal feed and drinking.
She is eating her normal crumble laying feed and drinks. I will get her the vitamins tomorrow. How much egg do I give her? Can I mixed it with her feed?

This is her standing, I have to help her stand and when she is ready to lay down it is not graceful. The last pic I believe were she has it down but won’t put weight on it.

Attachments

• 1AD9009B-15AA-4DED-B583-6E13B967626C.jpeg
    1AD9009B-15AA-4DED-B583-6E13B967626C.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2EEFA552-2F07-4F8B-8358-CE8E37010709.jpeg
    2EEFA552-2F07-4F8B-8358-CE8E37010709.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 13
  • FDC42B25-5074-4128-A88D-5B1D59A0A05F.jpeg
    FDC42B25-5074-4128-A88D-5B1D59A0A05F.jpeg
    490.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 3932BB1E-9BDD-4967-9803-553AFAB5FDB0.jpeg
    3932BB1E-9BDD-4967-9803-553AFAB5FDB0.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 13
She uses her wing to help lay down and is kinda of a flop.
She has good healthy poop, took a pic since she did it on my hardwood floor.

Attachments

• D6E6D746-FCBB-422E-BD14-EEAEE962421F.jpeg
    D6E6D746-FCBB-422E-BD14-EEAEE962421F.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 15
She is eating her normal crumble laying feed and drinks. I will get her the vitamins tomorrow. How much egg do I give her? Can I mixed it with her feed?

I usually just scramble up an egg and provide it separate as a "treat" but you certainly can mix it with her feed if you wish.

Hopefully she's just injured her foot and it will take a little time for her to improve.

We have the exact same situation. With out Rhoade Island. I have no answer.

Back
Top Bottom