Chicken with loss of weight, very sleepy hardly moving

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prettypiglett, Aug 12, 2010.

1. prettypiglett

prettypiglett Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    Hi

I don't seem to be doing very well and feel useless at the moment [​IMG]

I have a chicken who is clearly poorly and dont really know why or how to help her. She hasnt been laying for a few weeks. She has now gone off her food and is drinking less (I have even resorted to sugar and water in a syringe today).

Today I gave her a warm bath and was horrified at how skinny she has become, I now realise she only looked fatter because she ruffles her feathers. Her comb has gone quite deflated, although still a bright red, however near her face has lost alot of colour (due to no energy?) Her chest feels swollen like an egg shape but not hard, Im not sure if this making her loose her balance when she starts to fall asleep, she sort of wakes herself up as she topples forward. Shes in the livingroom at the moment, even the dog doesnt seem intimidated by her and is leaving her alone!

I have wondered if shes egg bound but apart from this bulge on her chest I cant feel anything, and theres not much meat on her to hide anything.

Any advice gratefully recieved, incidently the other chicken I have is fine, but we did loose one a couple of months back with a prolapse uterus......chickens seem harder and sadder work than I thought they would be!

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    so sorry. Hope you can fix her. Maybe antibotics? Bump

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Check her out for mites or lice, and my first thought was worms. Do a search on worming and see if anything fits.
    good luck!

4. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:ditto
    Mites were my first thought. A friend of mine lost several chickens with just the same symptoms that you describe, they come up to a point and just fall over dead. She finally asked another "chicken friend" to help with a necropsy and when she took the carcass out of the bag, it was covered with mites (visible as they were leaving the dead body). They are very hard to see on a living bird, but on the dead bird it looked like pepper. They can and will bleed a bird to death if left unchecked. Poultry dust works very well and will get them immediately. You'll need to dust the whole flock and where they sleep. You'll need to retreat in 8 or 10 days. You'd better check on the gestation of lice/mites. I can't remember what it is, but you'll need to get them as soon as they hatch. If you worm use Wazine first so you don't over do it on her system. If she's never been wormed before, you don't know what she has and you could over load her with dead worms, so better to proceed slowly.
    Good luck and I hope this helps. If it's not parasites, I hope you can find out what it is quickly.

5. prettypiglett

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    She had a bad day yesterday but today she seems a little better. I was wondering if it is mites wouldnt the other chicken get it? She seems perfectly healthy, good weight, comb is a good colour, no problems.

The chicken who is poorly has just eaten scramble egg and water with sugar, shall I keep doing this to make sure she is getting her energy if nothing else. Then tomorrow I will go get some de wormer and lice/mite dust just incase [​IMG]

6. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Scrambled eggs are always good and you could try plain yogurt. I don't know what I think of the sugar water. I'm thinking with the eggs and yogurt, I might D/C the sugar. How does her poo look? Are there any respiratory issues?

7. prettypiglett

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    Well shes still alive and kicking [​IMG] ,today I am going to go get some wormer and mite stuff just in case she has either. Before I do this I am going to bath again (as maybe that did help a little). I will feed her some more eggs, and will get yoghurt when I next go to the shop. How many lots of scrambled egg do I give her?

I am also going to give her house a complete clean, I have already dug over her run.

I am just really trying to do all I can for her...I have put apple cider in the proper water container, but she does seem to enjoy that sugared water!

I haven't spotted the poo, she seems happier to stay with the other chicken (even though the other one doesnt care about her) so at the moment they are together. Maybe when I bath/dry her the poo will be evident [​IMG]

8. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Is the lump her crop? She may have eaten something poisonous. Someone on here had a chicken eat a moth ball. You will just have to worm her and try everything you know of and then wait and see. It could be cancerous tumor.

9. prettypiglett

May 30, 2010
    Norfolk, Uk
    I dont think the lump is a lump (and it was on the chest area), its not so obvious today anyway. Bought the stuff, and when my bf was holding her, yes I can see mites! I dont know how I missed them, poor chicken.

Have dusted her, given her worming stuff, she has been drinking cider vinegar water. I have been dealing with her house and used a sulphur candle and tomorrow I am using a blow torch on the surrounding wood.

The other hen looks clean but I have treated her exactly the same way just in case.

I am going to go and feed her scramble egg (she weighs next to nothing at the moment) hopefully things will start to improve over the next few days [​IMG] Thanks for the advice so far, any more suggestions will be greatfully recieved.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  10. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:Good that you found the mites, she should begin to show rapid recovery. I'm not sure I'd continue with the cider vinegar. I believe that is normally given (with "mother") as a treatment for sour croup. See if you can get her to begin eating regular feed - crumbles or mash and if she doesn't want to eat it, you might try mixing it with warm water, apple sauce or any kind of fruit or something that will mix with it to make it sweet. You can also try mixing in some of the yogurt.
    Your other hen may be clean, but it is better to be safe than sorry, particularly now that you are treating the one hen. They may bale off her and migrate to the other hen.
    At any rate, it sounds like your on the mend.
    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by