1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with lump by breast meat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmalI, Dec 13, 2014.

1. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    The other day I got a few chickens for a friend and one of them has a lump about the size of an egg on the right side of her breast bone about 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the breast meat/bone.Any ideas?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sounds like it could be the crop where food is stored and becomes moistened before moving through the digestive tract--is that what you are seeing? There should be some food in it during the day. If it is full and hard, that would be abnormal, so check to see that it becomes empty by morning.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  3. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    No, its almost like some of its guts are there. It looks like a hernia.

4. dunedin

dunedin Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2014
    Sounds like her croup. Perfectly normal.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be a breast blister that has developed an infection or an abscess. Does she lay down a lot or did the previous owner not have them roosting? Does it feel firm or soft inside? A picture may help.

6. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    I will try to get a picture soon, no, she acts normal, ive been doing chickens for 12 years and never seen this. It is soft, it feel like your feeling her guts but its about 2 inches down from the center of the breast meat on her right side.

7. Colleenfaye

Colleenfaye New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    Is somthing i can do its been there for a few days

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you be more specific? Is there a problem with chicken's crop in the upper right of her chest? That is where the food is stored until moving on through the digestive tract.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC - are you saying you are also noticing a lump in the same area described by the OP in their question about their bird? If so, you say it has been there for a few days - have you checked it first thing in the morning, before the bird has taken any food or water? If it is the crop and if it is functioning properly it will be empty in the morning . Many people notice these "lumps" when they go to put the birds up for the night and panic because it seems so freakish. What has actually happened is the bird has stuff itself full of food in preparation for a long night at roost - as the food digests and waste is expelled overnight, the crop empties and the lump disappears. When the bird wakes they immediately hop down from the roost and fill themselves up again, so if you miss that magic moment you will find a bird with what appears to be the same lump "still" there.

10. Colleenfaye

Colleenfaye New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    I will look in the morning. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by