chicken with lump on chest...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mopar_babe72, May 24, 2011.

1. mopar_babe72

mopar_babe72 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    our chicken has developed a lump on he chest and has been breathing with her mouth open the last few days.. what could it be? fowl Px maybe?
    thanks for your help!
    <3 lori [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Is the lump on the right side between the neck and chest?

If so, it is the crop, and is perfectly normal. The crop is where they store food, before digestion. It will go down overnight, as they digest. It will fill up again as they eat.
    It could be a problem if it is hard and doesn't go down (impacted), ferments and gets sour (sour crop) or gets large and feels/looks like a big old water balloon (pendulous crop)

Imp

ETA - Welcome to BYC

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is it her crop?

4. mopar_babe72

May 24, 2011
    it felt more like dead center of the chest... just shy of the breast bone

5. mopar_babe72

May 24, 2011
    no, Chickens are sweet, i dont think it is.. it felt like it was jsut next to her breast bone...
    p.s. thanks for ur quote on the land of the free because of the brave, my husband is in the Army
    [​IMG]
    thanks so much for helping guys! [​IMG]
    <3 lori

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

There is something called a breast blister. It is caused by the breast rubbing on the edge of a waterer or feeder etc.

http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

Oh and to answer your original question. It does not sound like fowl pox.

Imp

7. mopar_babe72

May 24, 2011
    thank you! [​IMG] we were worried about the open mouth breathing... but it coulda been she was just hot, they all roost lumped together like when they were babies
    thanks so much [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

Also, if you don't mind, would you look at information on gapeworm?

This might not explain a lump, but mouth breathing can be a sign of gapeworm.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

Mouth breathing could also be respiratory disease, but again the lump wouldn't be explained.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

9. mopar_babe72

May 24, 2011
    will do chickens are sweet. and thanks so much to you and IMP for helping with this... i was thinking it was possibly gapeworm too [​IMG]
    thanks so much we will get to the bottom of it and i will let u guys know!: )
    it sucks there are NOOO poultry vets here.. its all equine, bigger animals it SUCKS!

10. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Please thank him for his service from my family of four!!! And thank you for your service, keeping him strong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by