Chicken with lump on side of face HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nhnanna, Sep 14, 2009.

1. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Here is a link to the pictures I took of her.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/nhnanna/2009_0907Image?authkey=Gv1sRgCJCIgM31nsOGdg#
    I noticed this the other day and thought she got stung by a bee or hornet. Her health is fine, she is eating and drinking but the lump isn't going down. It feels solid, not squishy. Today it seems like it has gotten a little bigger and she is keeping the eye opposite the lump closed. Her beak is a little open as well. She still eats (grower and treats) with no problem and is also drinking water.
    Hopefully someone can tell me how to help this little sweetie. I can't afford a vet and don't know if there is even one around here for birds, so will appreciate any help I can do myself. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. I can't get her to open her beak to see inside. thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Sorry, I have never seen anything like that. I hope someone can help.

3. nhnanna

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Thank you. I just went out to check on her again and she is the same. She does have a full crop so I know she is eating ok, for now anyway. She doesn't act like it is bothering her so I am at a loss. If it was an absess I would cut it a little to drain but it feels hard so I am not sure what it is. She is a sweetie too. She doesn't mind me picking her up and touching it. She seems to like me rubbing it.

4. nhnanna

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Doesn't anyone have an idea of what this is and how I can help this poor chic? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    I had a BR that had the same thing. I gave it antibiotics but it didnt help. Eventually it got large enough that she couldnt eat, drink. We had decided to cull her, but she died that morning. I felt horrible, not knowing what to do with her, not being able to help. I thought maybe I could drain it, but didnt because I just didnt know.
    Good Luck!

6. nhnanna

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    That is where I am at right now. It doesn't feel like if I made a cut that it would drain. It feels solid like she got something caught in her mouth and I can't get her to open her mouth so I can see inside.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any way this is an abcessed feather follicle? They can get really large if not fixed.

8. nhnanna

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Quote:I don't know what that is or how to fix it. Please help.

9. Billy7871

Billy7871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    This is what I found on a previous post...We didn't notice it for quite a while, so by the time we did it was quite large. Here is what I did, and it may be a little controversial: First I read up on what was going on. Then, my BF and I took a sterilized razor blade, cut a slit on the bump, and pulled out an entire feather. We then disinfected it, and it healed with in a few days. A few months later the bump was back, so we did the same thing. I haven't had a problem since. I have taken him to the vet to have the feather inspected, and basically the vet said he would have done the same thing as we did.

If your comfortable and have help, pulling it out yourself isn't a big deal. It is worth a shot especially if she doesn't mind you touching her. I read a lot about people on here helping their chickens out and just sewing them back up. They seem really resilient. Good luck with whatever you decide.[​IMG]
    Don't forget to put neosporine on it..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. nhnanna

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    thank you, I just googled it also. I guess it is worth a try and I have neosporin on hand. I just makes me so nervous that it is so close to the mouth and eye. I will try it tomorrow if I can get up enough nerve. I don't want to hurt her more than she already hurts but I can't just let it go either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by