CHicken with messed up leggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by momofsamjontori, Nov 8, 2008.

1. momofsamjontori

momofsamjontori Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    I have a baby chick that has his legs not working - they are folding in and together almost make a diamond. --

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Can you post a photo? I'm having a hard time visualizing the position.
    Are the hocks ("knees") together & the feet pointed out, or are the feet together & the hocks pointed out? Does the chick lie on its belly or its side?
    How old is it? Did it take a long time to hatch?
    Do you have it on non-slip footing such as a paper towel, rather than newspaper?
    Hope we can help with a little more info [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  3. momofsamjontori

Nov 1, 2008
    It is laying on it's belly and it's ffet arte seperate but they do not work - it is like they are when they are in the shell - af if they can not move - I have him on a washcloth - I have given him water with the dropper and he has food beside him, but when I put him in the brooder the others pick on him and he can't get away except to use his wings to move. - my camera is broken - I wish that I could post a pic.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Try seaching spralled leg and see if that is what it might be. How long ago did he hatch ??

5. momofsamjontori

Nov 1, 2008
    He hatched yesterday and his toes are curled under - where the other chicks are able to walk, but he can't because his toes are curled. I have given him water with a dropper and crumbled food in front of him - I will look that up thank you

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If its his toes that are curled up then search "curled toe"
    that can be fixed with booties. If its his legs that arent working b/c they are out to the side then search spralled leg !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by