Chicken with missing toes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jacca5, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jacca5

jacca5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Has anyone ever had a chicken that lost all their toes?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Why did it lose all it's toes?

3. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    I have no idea I wanted to see if it had ever happened to anyone else. The rooster has NO toes what so ever.

4. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Does it look like an injury? Frost bite? Rotting? There is a disease called footrot that affects poultry.
    Also, what type of flooring are they on? Can a predator get to their feet?

5. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Well my first thought was frostbite however I am telling you there is no way the could have gotten frostbit. They just slowly fell off one by one over a period of about 2 weeks. They didn't look to be injured, now of course sometimes they bleed where they fell off. What is foot rot like?

No a predator can not get to them the are on vinyl flooring cover with pine shavings.

6. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If they are on vinyl flooring and shaving, foot rot could not be the culprit either. How odd. I have never heard of such a thing. Perhaps there is some sort of bacteria causing it. Could you put them on antibiotics (terramycin)? I would try that. It would at least stop any secondary infection and possibly stop any more toe loss.

Another thought: mice or rats?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hmmmm. Had a friend that had his chicks on wire. Rats ate the toes off most of them before he noticed. Any rats in your yard?........Pop

8. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    Well I did separate him from all other just to be sure it didn't happen to anyone else. As far as rats I don't think so I have never seen any but who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by