Chicken with naked spots on neck - why?

Apr 30, 2020
My sweet chicken, Duchess, has had these naked spots on her neck for I wanna say about 2 months. They haven’t always been there. She’s about 5 months old, just started laying. I have no idea what’s causing them.

The skin looks pink and healthy. There’s pin feathers coming in but the bald patches don’t fill in. I’ve never seen it bloody, as if her/others are pecking at the pin feathers

Here are my thoughts:
- I’ve checked her all over for bugs, nothing. I’ve checked the coop at day and night, no bugs. I dust the coop with DE so I don’t think that’s the issue.
- I’ve never seen bullying. I’ve never seen her pluck her own feathers either, but I suppose that could be the case.
- I feed them 18% protein crumbles and now offer oyster shells on the side since some are laying. They get a tiny amount of scratch in the morning, with extra sunflower seeds mixed in. I give them some dried meal worms each day, so I also don’t think it’s a protein issue.
- I have 4 chickens in a 4x4 coop with a 4x12 run, and they free range from 7am until they go to bed. I don’t think it’s a “lack of space” or stress issue.
- I live in south Texas and we regularly have 100+ degree weather. Is it possible she’s plucking that spot naked to cool off? Is that a thing? No other chickens have any naked spots.

1596631005501.jpeg

1596631023469.jpeg

1596631039258.jpeg

I think one of the other chickens might be pulling out any new feathers growing in. I would put some pine tar on the bald patches and see if the feathers grow back.

Back
Top Bottom