Chicken with open wound on tail.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frizzlefraz, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Frizzlefraz

Frizzlefraz Out Of The Brooder

I noticed one of my young chickens ( 2months) was huddled in the corner of her pen when I fed them this morning, on closer inspection she has a strange open wound right on the top of her tail. I washed it with salt water and put some raw honey on it and put her in a Crete with food and water with asv.
    I'm not sure if it will get better without further intervention than this. There is a que tip sized red lump in the wound and I'm not sure if it is a cyst or something.

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    If she seems to be weak or in pain, you might consider bringing her inside to keep a closer eye on her and allow her the rest to heal. It sounds like it is washed out, so I would just keep an eye on it. If it starts to heal on it's own, great! If it starts to get worse, then I would spray some vetricyn on it or maybe rub a little neosporin on it. It all depends on how she is acting in general and what the wound starts to do. Keep us updated! Good luck!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Sounds like you know how to take care of a wound now it is
    important she is kept in a clean worm environment so you
    can keep an eye on her and her wound hopefully everything
    should be good in 10 days or sooner .....
    Good luck and Happy Holiday's ................

gander007

4. Frizzlefraz

Thanks for your replies. Here is a picture if the wound.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    There is supposed to be a lump just up from the tail. It's the oil gland they use for preening their feathers. I hope it's not damaged.[​IMG] I'm told they can get impacted, but I've no experience with that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. gander007

That is a nasty wound but she will live as long as infection doesn't set in
    just clean it out a couple of times and let it dry out and heal and if you
    can rub your hand around that area to check for secondary wounds as
    some times there is ..............
    Good luck and take care ......

gander007 [​IMG]

7. Frizzlefraz

The wound seems to be healing ok. I noticed today she has a bad limp and doesn't want to put any weight to her left leg. She was fine yesterday and has been in a creat since Tuesday .. Very odd.

8. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Glad that the wound is healing. Maybe she injured her leg as well and since she hasn't been moving around much in the crate you hadn't noticed it. Now that she is feeling better and wanting to move around more it's more obvious? Just a thought. Glad she getting better; hopefully her leg will follow suit!

9. Frizzlefraz

She was walking around fine the first few days when I got her out to clean the crate, it seems to be new. I've just dusted her for mites and gave her a wormer in her food. Hope it helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. gander007

Good looking lady you have their .... Good to read she is getting better and moving around on her own but now her leg is bothering her
    I would say another week or so and everything should be back to normal but first have you touched or checked out the leg for any
    deformity or abnormity .........

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by