Chicken with Palsy! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by belleschicks, Nov 5, 2013.

1. belleschicks

belleschicks New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    One of my meat chicken was found in the chicken tractor a couple of days ago with a limp neck. We separated it from the others. The next day when we checked on it, it had clear mucus like stuff in it's poop and was very weak. I took it off food and gave it sugar water and apple cider vinegar. Today it has been very alert and its poop seems to be normal. We are now giving it normal food(it seems to be eating fine), but continue giving it apple cider vinegar. The only problem is it seems like it is not able to control its neck(sort of like someone with palsy). None of the others seem to have any problems, it is also possible that it was hurt while I was pulling the chicken tractor, but highly doubt it. My main concern is does this chicken have something that could spread to the rest of the flock? And is it cost effective to continue nursing it?
    Breed: Freedom Ranger
    Weight: unknown, not the smallest out of 51, but smaller than most.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not being able to control it's neck sounds a bit like botulism, but I wouldn't think it could get into anything contaminated to eat in a tractor. Can you look up wry neck to see if that is what it has? Wryneck can happen after an injury. Vitamins may help.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. belleschicks

belleschicks New Egg

Nov 5, 2013
    I looked up botulism and wry neck, it sounds more like wry neck. Today it seemed much better, it was able to control its neck a lot better than yesterday. It's neck is still croocked, but it doesn't look as bad as most of the pictures I've seen. It is eating and drinking just fine, I also gave it some vitamin e oil this morning. When would it be ok to put it back in with the others? Thanks!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes but usually wry neck treatment consists of vitamin e capsules small amount of selinum vitaminb polyvisol children's vitamin without iron and sometimes predinsone.if you follow the treatment their is a good chance her neck will straighten. I've had recovered two birds this way. However a word of warning it can come back. My bird just got her second case of wry neck. This time the treatment was not successful and I lost her. So be aware it can return depending on the cause.in my case it was genetics. If yours is a vitamin defiencey I recommend a vitamin regiment including vitamin e. Hope this helps and wish you the best.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by