Chicken with paralyzed leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickadelic, Jan 28, 2015.

1. chickadelic

chickadelic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Looks like one of my hens can't walk on one of it's legs. It seems to be limp. I am sure she will be fine but is there anything I can do for her?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    There can be several things that have caused this. Has she recently been broody or trying to go broody and laying down a lot? Is she a free ranger and potentially got into some sort of moldy or other food? She could have aspergillus or botulism or something as simple as a Vitamin D shortage can cause this problem. "bigger" issues could be mareks and New Castle disease. How old is she? How long has this been going on? Do you have a vet who could look at her?

Also, she could have fallen from her perch and caused a displaced joint as welll. Is she still trying to eat and drink?
    I would probably isolate her and bring her in a heated and sheltered area where she can eat and drink and see if there is an improvement. If it is something that is contagious, you would want to move her away from the area at any rate.Hope she improves soon!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    More than likely it is an injury such as a bad sprain or a broken bone, but leg bone deformities that get worse with age, and Mareks disease would be other possibilities. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? How old is she. Have you lost any chickens to an unknown disease, or with symptoms of lameness, drooped wings, or who couldn't raise their neck? I would start some poultry vitamins in her water, in case of a vitamin deficiency. Here are some links to read about Mareks disease:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

4. chickadelic

Jul 9, 2014
    Well I neglected to mention that I think I caused it by doing something really stupid and I feel so bad about it. I bought those markers that u put on their leg for six out of the 11 hens, because they are all Barred Rock and I couldn't tell them apart. I won't go into why but I didn't notice that one of them got really tight until she started limping. The others are fine. I guess she grew or something. So somehow it damaged her leg . . . . I feel terrible, it seems to be paralyzed. I started bringing her in (a colder room) in the mornings to make sure she gets enough to eat and drink, because I think she is getting pushed away from the food and tends to sit a lot and not go to the food, but then I bring her back to the coop because I want her to keep acclimatized to the cold which they are. I just wondered if she will eventually be able to walk on it again . . . . I hope so. I think she will adapt ok, eventually but just wondered if there was anything else I could do to help get her leg back and moving.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    chickadelic, yes, that sort of information does add a lot of needed detail. She is definitely at the bottom of the "pecking" order. She may be avoiding weight on that leg as it is healing, so i would certainly keep an eye out to see how she does but just like when we twist an ankle or have a fracture, we avoid putting weight on our feet too! NOW important question, were you able to totally remove that band from her leg or is the band so tight you feel you cannot remove it? There are several different kinds of clippers that can help you cut bands, as long as you have steady hands and good eyes! Sorry to be acting like a Grandmother Hen but I just want to be sure you have the resources you need. [​IMG] And clearly you care about your poultry as you came here to get some resources, so please forgive yourself for accidents and thanks for sharing this situation here to remind everyone to check those bands!

6. chickadelic

Jul 9, 2014
    My goodness, don't apologize. I am so thankful for your important input and concern :)

Yes to answer your question, I immediately took the marker off her leg, as soon as I noticed it was too tight and likely the cause of her limping. I was able to take it off quite easily with just a little discomfort to her. It just left an indentation like a ring that was too tight on a human finger would. Not too bad but enough to cut something off . . . . . .a nerve or something so I am hopeful it will heal but her toes aren't moving, sort of curling a little like someone who had a stroke. But as I mentioned before, I am bringing her in and making sure she eats and drinks and then bring her back and set her in a quiet safe place in the coop.

I'm hoping that even if she doesn't get the use of her one leg back, that she will learn to hop around on one. Just have to keep her alive.

My poor chickens have suffered due to my ignorance and lack of experience :( but I spoil them in other ways to make up for it. . . . I hope :/

Open to any other suggestions.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by