Chicken with poop around vent

waddles99

Songster
8 Years
Jun 22, 2013
NJ
I noticed one of my chickens was not moving or eating. She was just standing huddling but with her eyes wide open. This has been going on for a while. I noticed she had a lot of poop caked around her vent. I removed it, separated her from the flock. But she is still not moving around very well and she is not herself. One of the other chickens already died from whatever this is, I do not want them all to. Any suggestions as to what it is?

How old are the birds in question? When you say it has been going on for "a while" - how long has it been...days, weeks? How long ago did the other bird pass and how long was it showing symptoms prior to passing? Now that you have the bird separated how is the intake of food and water -- what is the color, consistency, etc of the waste she is passing? Is there any swelling or discharge (other than the feces) from any part of the bird's body? Have you recently introduced any new birds?

How old are the birds in question? The one that has it is and the one that died are 3 years, the others are 8 months.
When you say it has been going on for "a while" - how long has it been...days, weeks? 3 weeks
How long ago did the other bird pass and how long was it showing symptoms prior to passing? The other bird died 2 days ago, and it was showing these symptoms for all of the 3 weeks.
Now that you have the bird separated how is the intake of food and water -- what is the color, consistency, etc of the waste she is passing? She is eating a tiny bit, don't know about drinking.
Is there any swelling or discharge (other than the feces) from any part of the bird's body? No, i do not think so.
Have you recently introduced any new birds? Not since November.

Back
Top Bottom