1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with poop on feathers and blood in droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CartierChicken, Jan 21, 2012.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My son noticed his favourite hen had poop on her feathers. At first he thought and egg had broken, as he said it looked slimy like egg white. So after he bathed her, he dried her and let her walk about. Then she had 2 droppings that were both watery and had blood spots in them. This hen is about 8 months old. She free ranges, so she surely has been exposed to Cocci in the soil long ago. She was wormed 2 months ago.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    There are several varieties of cocci, and she could have an overloaded system depending on how much she has recently been exposed to. My first group of hens got cocci at 2.5 years old after a particularly rainy, wet summer. Never had it before or since.

A quick round of Sulmet or Corid should fix her right up.

Good luck.

3. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for you reply. I spoke to a vet nurse, and she thinks it is unlikely, as it is middle of winter here in Sweden. She thinks my chickens were under dosed when I last wormed them, and that this chicken has a bad case of worms. I have checked more of her droppings. There are no blood spots in the most recent droppings, but they are all so watery. I'm keeping her in my kids bathroom, so I can see all the droppings that come from her. I can't believe what I go through for my chickens :) Anyways, I think I might start them on Fenbendazole again. The directions are for dogs and cats, but it does list dosage by weight. It says to give for 3 days, but I see many here saying they give it for 5 days, then wait 10 days? I have a 50 ML oral suspension, and on average, I give .6 ml to each bird for 3 days. Does anyone disagree with this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by