Chicken with possible egg binding - please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GbGBill, Mar 31, 2015.

1. GbGBill

GbGBill New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    I've only had chickens for three months and am not sure what is wrong with one of my hens. About 2 days ago she started getting a bit listless. Now she is listless, stands very tall, and though she doesn't walk much, she does waddle like a penguin when she does. She also barely eats and drinks. I thought she may be egg bound, but she is still pooping, though what comes out is very small. She also looks a bit ragged, but she's been dropping feather for several weeks now, so I think she's molting.

Any advice for me? If she's not egg bound, what else could it be? Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The ragged feathers and dropping feathers could be mites/lice, so check for that.

Waddling like a penguin is what they do say happens with egg binding...haven't dealt with that myself but they say to put in a warm bath and feel for an egg gently with lubricant. Warm bath is to loosen muscles so egg comes out, I have read.

It would be informative if you could take a poo sample to a vet to check for cocci/worms/bacteria. False negative is possible on the worms test.

How old is your chicken and has she been laying eggs recently?

Check her crop in the morning- is it empty as it should be before eating? You may need to separate her to observe her carefully. It sounds like she is close to dying with very little eating and drinking.

Have you wormed them? What do her poos look like?

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. GbGBill

GbGBill New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Thanks for the help. I haven't wormed them myself and am not sure if the previous owner did. I think she is 2 years old and was laying recently. I will check her over for mites and try to feel for the egg. This whole thing is new to me so I need to find a vet as well. I'm sure this won't be the last issue I'll have with my chickens.

If it's worms, how should I go about treating her?

5. GbGBill

GbGBill New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Hi

I wanted to give you an update on Pebbles.

She is still lethargic. I gave her a warm bath and felt around again (externally) for an egg and I don't feel one. After I dried her off, I rubbed her belly and she let out a large watery poop. But no egg. She still has trouble walking. When I put corn under her nose, she will eat it with vigor. I also noticed that her wings are spread out and she is really scraggily around the tail.

This started on Sunday morning, so this has been going on 3 days. Would that rule out egg binding? Does anything else I said now offer clues?

Thanks again for your help! Pebbles and I appreciate it.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It could be enternal laying, which there is. No cure for, unfortunately. I am sorry.

You could try worming your entire flock to try to ward off future sicknesses.

Have you quarantined her so you can tell if her crop is emptying? What does her poop look like?

7. GbGBill

GbGBill New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Her poop was watery and grayish with what looked like a little foam on the edges, if that makes sense. What does eternal laying mean? What does it mean if her crop is not emptying?

8. enola

Since she is pooping, her digestive system is not blocked. Good. If her crop is not emptying, she could have sour crop or be crop bound. Do not feed her any more corn. See if her crop is emptying before you let her eat anything else. In the morning try feeding her gooked eggs or a mash made from chicken feed. No more grains until we figure out what might be wrong.

9. enola

Internal laying means her body is still making eggs, but they are not going into her fallopian tubes so they can come out of her body. They build ip into a huge nasty mass inside of her and eventually cause a fatal infection.

10. enola

If you decide to worm your chickens, Safeguard liquid for goats is a good choice. You can find it at tractor supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by